The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I'm a Serena fan too. He has really good looking boobs for a guy. :D

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Years ago I tried out for the Olympics in diving. I went into this dive, that dive, two other dives down the street until all of them quit serving me any more drinks. :(

Potts N Pans likes this.
  3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

About Brazil fucking things up?...

Sochi was supposed to be a disaster, it turned out fine.

London was going to be a traffic disaster, it turned out fine.

Vancouver was an impeding nightmare, it turned out fine,

Holy crap, Beijing was going to implode! it turned out fine.

Athens, well Athens was going to burn! (well, it did but only 4 years later but that was something else) It (the games) turned out fine.

Must be a recent media sporting event, finding cause for disaster for the forthcoming games. Gold metal to all.

BTW, count me in on not watching the Lympics on US broadcasters, they milk the human interest side to puke a mule.

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Don't forget about the bombing in Atlanta, and the '72 summer games.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Rio will fail severely because of the Zika carrying mosquitoes. One landed at the airport and the fueling crew pumped over 2 thousand pounds of jet fuel into the thing before they figured out that it wasn't a plane.
    I think it was one of those South Texas mosquitoes that landed in Rio. :D

auminer likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sochi spent trillions being ready and the corruption was insane. Rio doesn't even have millions to spend.

London had the infrastructure to support the amount of people coming in via mass tansport and had a nice war chest of cash. Brazil's mass transport is a complete mess and the roads there are already fully maxed out.

China? Billions of dollars to waste and a work force that was willing and able to get it done (so they wouldn't end up being reeducated). Brazil doesn't have the cash to pay these people to get it done plus they just don't feel like doing it, they'd rather go and dance.

TZ, you ever been to Brazil or done business there?

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

No I do not think it is her fault. She is only doing her job, and she is indeed one of the greatest. (but we also have 3 out of the 6 greatest men tennis players of all time playing at the same time).
    It has nothing to do with race either (dont know how this got brought up, but it is the dungeon), in the same comment I say I like her sister more than i like her, and her sister just happens to be the same race as her.
    I guess part of the problem is that she is a girl, I think everyone knows that female sports arent as popular as male. It is a big issue with tennis. For the four major tournaments male and female play at exactly the same two weeks, and the prize money is exactly the same. This was a big deal a few months ago when a tournament director made a comment and then some male players were asked about it and the answers were not as expected (turned out the director had to step down).

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The gap between the viewership and spectators in men's and women's tennis is fairly small and generally trending smaller. Recently the US Open's ratings for the women were higher than the men. Differences in popularity will at least partially be made up in sponsorship and endorsement deals. Men's figure skaters and gymnasts are generally paid the same as the women's in the tournaments, yet the women are considerably more popular in those sports.

So as you see, it all depends on the sport. Personally I prefer to watch women's tennis over men's. I find the game more interesting. Although I have to admit that I sometimes have to reach for the mute button to kill off the squeaky grunt sounds. I think the networks have gotten a little better about not over amplifying those sounds recently. Similar to how the networks finally figured out that no one wanted to hear every little squeak of the basketball shoes all game long.

10. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

Nigel bought up race and I said to him that race had nothing to do with it, but you're right, it is the Dungeon. Lots of words gets twisted in here.

Venus is good, but she didn't do what Serena has done. And as Mongo said, the media does show what pays the bills.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid: I played a lot of tennis between junior high school and college. I watch at least as much women's tennis as I do men, probably more. I don't know where he gets this idea that people don't care about the women's game. Even though we have possibly seen the greatest cast of male players in history over the last decade, I find myself less interested because of the uniformity among players. No one attacks the net anymore. They all just sit on the baseline. Matches are endless. Almost everyone has a two-handed backhand (except for Federer, Wawrinka and Gasquet). I miss the days when you often have two very different styles clashing in a grand slam semi final or final. McEnroe-Lendl, Becker-Wilander, Edeberg-Chang, Agassi-Sampras..., when you saw a match-up like that, you knew it was going to be interesting. Just my opinion.

Now basketball, I couldn't even tell you which cities have teams. :D

Shenanigans and rd400racer like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The guy that got in trouble got it from TV viewing numbers and turnouts at matches.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Must be smaller tournaments, I guess. Stands are packed for grand slams.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that's not a surprise, the event itself is the draw. If you can't get tix to the big matches you make do with the lesser :D

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hey, watch it!

I bounced pretty good at Road A last weekend:D

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am laughing with you rd. My shit is more likely to break than bend too. I am still trying to recover from a fairly big get off at Texas World Speedway over a year ago...

rd400racer likes this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Like you I played tennis while in high school since that was the only sport we played other than basketball. Since there were only a total of 137 students in all 12 grades when I graduated (1959) basketball was all we played. Every day, year round, 24/7 it seems like. I hated it and now would not walk across the street to see a game.

I like women's tennis and golf much more than men's. One gets to see better looking players and for me, ever since a golf teacher of the old days made a statement about women not being able to play properly because their breasts were in the way of a proper swing, I have been intently watching to see if it really happens. Having checked out hundreds of boobs I can honestly say that not one of them has ever been in the way. :beer:

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I watched the diving and swimming last night. Some people might think it's boring but I find it interesting as hell. The one girl that just missed out on making the Olympics 4 years ago and then quit, only to come back and give it one more try (she made it this time) got me all choked up and we have even gotten to the big show yet.

Also pulling for the U of L swimmer to make it tonight. http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...er-butterfly-prelims-olympic-trials/86406660/

crashman likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Orvis? How'd you dodge the dinosaurs that were trying to eat you while you volleyed? If a pterodactyl carried away Grog while playing, was it a victory by forfeit? :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016