1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My daughter made it to the nationals last year and got 7th in the nation in the 8&under long jump. She chose to continue to play basketball this summer and in looking at the results at this years qualifying events it makes me a little sad she's not out there. She missed making nationals last year by 1 position in the 200 meter.

I love watching the kids in track and field events.

nigel smith likes this.
  2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Dude, I cant agree more with you.
    I watch tennis (yeah I know.....) and i cant stand the US broadcasting.
    You have some of the best male tennis players playing in one court, and they have an american female playing in the other, guess which one they choose to play? btw, even tennis fans dont care about female tennis.

And dont get me started on Serena.

3. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

Just curious, what's wrong with Serena?

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Like Michelle, she's really a dude.

5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Here in the US broadcast she takes priority over anything and everything. They will replay her matches twice in a row, or a replay her match instead of playing a live match. Dont get me wrong, she is one of the greats, but they talk her up so much it just gets annoying, I am a bigger fan of Venus just because of that.

6. jase

Think what you want, but she is kicking ass and taking names.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Come on man, she is way more attractive than Moochelle...
    I do have to say that her muscles are either thru juicing or incredible genetics though...

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Actually, I was just kidding and I'm a fan of that brutes skill set.

Serena NOT Michelle.

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

BTW. My 10 year old niece just ran 1:05 in the 400 meters tuesday and finished 2nd right behind a 15 year old boy

JTW, XFBO and 2blueYam like this.
  10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That is an awesome time for a ten year old. Encourage her to stick with it. She'll kill middle school track with times like that.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I was a springboard diver, didn't get started till I went to a JC in the late 70's. 3 1/2's were common, full twist 2 1/2 was my favorite 3M dive. Weirdest dive, never saw anyone else do it, inwards full twist 1 1/2. Used to tap my toes on the board as I rotated.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. jase

Ok, so do you think it's Serena's fault the the media talks her up? Dont think it's fair to blame her what the media does.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good Lord, you really do search for ways to be offended. Where do you get that he is blaming Serena?

MikeR and crashman like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

RD and/ or newshooter, can you do a triple lindy? :D

rd400racer likes this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They are both so old that they would break both hips if they tried. At their advanced age I would be surprised if they could bend over to tie shoes...

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have a nagging suspicion that he was hoping that one of us would say that Serena didn't belong on a tennis court due to her race. That chip on his shoulder is so large that he has difficulty seeing around it.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I once jumped from the 3 m board. Sat down, hesitated for a but five minutes and pushed myself off. Fuck dat shit. We'd have wings if we were supposed to fly.

18. jase

It was a question that I asked him, so I’m not offended. It was a question. After the question was a comment. I take that back.

So again, i will ask Rafa:
    Do you think it's Serena's fault the media talks her up? <--- See the question mark Nigel and Acree

Nigel, race has nothing to do with it. I'm a Serena fan, that's why I ask the question in the first place.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't get the impression that Serena is a media whore, so no, I don't think the media's behavior is her fault. She is a damn good tennis player, certainly among the best ever. The media is trying to sell whatever they are pimping at the time. Whether or not it is her fault, overexposure can tend to put people off.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They show what the majority wants to see because that pays the bills. I'd guess there are a lot of "our girls kick ass in tennis" and less real tennis fans watching.