1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Apple hack the phone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by dtalbott, Feb 17, 2016.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

At least he stopped short of advocating a government ban on designing secure devices.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He didn't want to step on Tacklebery's toes.

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It is more akin to a safe manufacturer being mandated to create a skeleton key that fits every safe they make. Of course the government swears to destroy the skeleton key after the single use. However that ignores:
    1) the government lies
    2) a copy could be made
    3) all the engineering is done and people involved have knowledge of what the solution was
    4) it was done once and precedent was set so next time the demand will be beyond question
    5) it assumes the mandate is even possible rather than a tech fantasy by those who could not do it

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

RobP, I am not sure they have actually opened up 5c/c (New Gen) iphones...they may have done it the past with older ones, before they spent Millions on developing the current encryption technology..contained in the Farooq's phone.

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Which at the time were the latest in security. The same privacy issues existed then as now.
    For Apple this is all about money and the damage which could be done if their phones are perceived vulnerable.

Britt likes this.
  6. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

It may have been the latest security for Apple at the time but it wasn't secure. The old iPhones weren't secure enough to be used for business and government. The newer iPhones have a higher level of encryption and can't be unlocked even by Apple.

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Depends...

Is there a ballroom in the house?

Any Candlesticks?

Do you like your wimmins Plum?...

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

It's a unusual day indeed when IYC, SheepofBlue, RFKA, Venom, and I are all on the same side of an issue in the dungeon.

Wow.

9. Venom51

We are on the same side on more than one. You should be able to marry whomever you choose. You are free to be miserable just like the rest of us.

Hell, I'm in a same sex marriage. I've been married to the same woman for 20 years. It's always the same sex. :D

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Infrequently?

Of course, we'd need to know if that's one word, or two ;)

12. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Britt,

The data in the cloud is not encrypted in the same manner as the data on the phone. Most likely, the phone is using a combination of "keys" to create the encryption. One part of that key is the users passcode/password/pin/fingerprint/etc.. the other part is going to be something that identifies the physical phone and then most likely some other components that add to the key making it very unique to that phone/user. The data that is sent to the cloud needs to be shared across potentially many devices, accessed via the web, etc. So the unique key to that user/device can't really be used from the web/other device to decrypt it. So it's not encrypted in the same manner (the phone decrypts it, sends it to iCloud, then iCloud may/may not encrypt it).

Apple can access the data in the cloud if needed and again, they are not arguing this. In fact they probably already supplied access to that data via a warrant. That data/logs probably revealed that there hadn't been a backup for a month(s) so the FBI wants what was stored on the phone since the last backup. That can be only gotten from the phone for things that were not moved over the data channel.

As for anything that moved over the cell such as calls, the FBI can get that info from the cellular service provider (call logs, txt logs, web logs, etc.)

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bill Gates is now reportedly siding with the FBI. Ethical choice or business related decision?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd guess ethical choice. Bill don't need more money :D

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sometimes it isn't the money, its beating the competitor. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True, not sure how much into that end of things Bill is these days. I think he's gone more full hippy and running his foundation(s?). That and didn't he win eons ago :D

17. Venom51

He's still a board member and still collects dividends.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I know he's still making tons of cash from M$, he just doesn't seem to be into anywhere like he was back in the day. He doesn't have the Jobs kind of psychosis about it :D

19. Venom51

Correct...he does not.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He did, but Apple keeps coming up with new IDs to log back in.