1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Apple hack the phone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by dtalbott, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Depends on the day. Sometimes it's a "screw" day. Sometimes it's a "screw with" day. :D

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

3. sheepofblue

Love the roar of silence from those claiming this was a one time thing against terrorists :flag: for the chiiilllldren (last part added by me :D )

So now that some truth is out.
    1) Apple would have to create a new product not just unlock something
    2) The FBI screwed it up
    3) This is not a one time attempt

So I think it is clear the FBI was trying to establish a precedent and chose to publicize the attempt that is well known by the public. In other words they tried to fool people and steal our rights. :timeforabeer:

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Haven't realm looks at the details, just the headlines, but what about the 70+ times apple helped it the Chinese government? I know going into the Chinese market is basically going into business with the devil as you are really signing s contract that you will do what ever the government says, as well as you generally need to wall off everything so its all in china, under government control (data centers and all). but something tells me of china wanted to get onto a phone in that market, apple would fall in line to keep the market.

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

We're from the government and we're here to help.

6. Venom51

I don't give a shit what they do in China. That's not where I live.

Ghost of Casby and sheepofblue like this.
  7. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Trust me, I don't either, and I hate(d) dealing with anything china from a technology standpoint. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if apple already has a backdoor into the phone.

I don't see any valid reason for a warrant here. Unless they are questioning if the two dead people are really the ones who did the killing... Outside of that, they are dead and that's the case end of that. If they are wondering if there are others, then what the hell good did the patriot act do? Maybe Marco can explain that...

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Would anybody feel differently if the FBI had turned the phone over to Apple and just asked them to dump the data, with only Apple knowing how they did it?

I'd bet the people who designed the security figured out how to defeat it as they were writing the code, even if they won't admit it.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Then you have chain of custody issues again.

Plus the insecurity of the data dump being duped, or leaked to the potential co-conspirators

10. sheepofblue

If you are writing and see a way to defeat it you fix that. That is the real world not some NCIS show.

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sorry, I was speaking as someone who was a programmer long ago. Always nice to know a secret no one else knows when you have a boss who keeps forgetting his password.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Today it would depend on how expensive / time consuming it would be to fix the hole in the security VS. how likely it is for someone to find the hole and exploit it. Easy to find or exploit, you have to fix it no matter what the cost or just close up shop. Virtually impossible to find and hard to exploit, fix it if it is cheap or just mark it down to be fixed in a future release. Most stuff falls in the middle, but places take this stuff seriously. No one wants to be the next big data breach.

13. Venom51

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

...until their androids or windoze phones get hacked, or they have problems with the network, or the IT peeps bitch about having to support too many different phones, or.....

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:I am sure that has Apple shaking in their boots. Their share of the market is going to go down from 44.2% to 44.19999999999999%:D

16. Venom51

The irony is how are they hurting Apple. Apple already has the money they spent on the last batch they bought.

17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It would be very funny if Apple prepared an automatic OS update for Maricopa County officials only with special sauce in it.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

"If the potential for unauthorized access to an encryption key is truly motivating Apple’s unwillingness to assist in downloading information from specific iPhones, then let’s define the problem in those terms and work on that concern," Montgomery added. "Otherwise, Apple is proving indifferent to the need for evidence to hold people accountable who have harmed or intend to harm fellow citizens."

Isn't that exactly what Apple is doing?

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Good God! I hope your wife isn't to the point where, when you get into the short rows and look down, she's not yawning. :D