1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

We had 21 Groms on the grid last CMRA race. It's more fun than you should be allowed to have. The rules are pretty strict...basically stock bikes. No bodywork,no rear sets, no engine work. Pipe and suspension about all you can do. We have gone from 3 of us in the first race to the 21 last race. Epic draft feasts. Little guys have a huge advantage in acceleration but top speed is about the same for everyone.

Build it and they will come.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Can they run in E?

3. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

....forgot to add....most of the Grommets ride their Groms on the street between races. 3/4 race with license plate!

4. notbostrom

so are they riding their pit bikes on the track or their track bikes in the pits?

5. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

Honestly they are probably not competitive with anything but another Grom IMHO

6. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

Both

7. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

By between races I mean they ride them on the street m-f. A couple of guys use them for commuting.

8. notbostrom

crap i like the idea of showing up with one vehicle to race, ride in the pits and use t run out for lunch, so long as i'm buying cases of water

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Chris, the wife bought one a few weeks ago. the mod wish list is HUGE but, the cost is over the msrp so, she got cold feet, and said lets wait and see what else comes out for them.

we will be in east Tn for all of labor day week. we will be at deals gap for the women's sportbike rally. one of the days we are there, she wants to spend the WHOLE DAY on the Grom, at the gap, just riding up and down the dragon and 28. if you are in town, grab Laura, and come over. the first crack hit is free. :D

she had a blast at the wera pit bike race last weekend, she didn't come in first but, she wasn't last either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueO5OZKUhJs&feature=youtu.be

just understand they are sprung for a 110 pound person from the factory. they need suspension BAD, with a capital BAD. ohlins, race tech, and Jri have front and rear systems for them. we are getting ohlins before the gap trip.

we will be at barber for the last STT event in October, it will be with us then too. if I get an invite to the GNF, it may be there too.

come on Mongo, we need a GROM CLASS. short sprint, 2-4 laps. Ski

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. I saw the Ohlins shock on the RD one. That is happening for sure. For no other reason than it looks cool and that little Ohlins shock is funny to me. :D

That is good information the suspension though, i didnt think about that. It will be way undersprung for sure.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly. Easy to do.

13. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Definitely a fun little bike especially after we sorted the gearing (it will not pull the stock gearing)

If you are going to ride it on the street the Comp Werkes fender eliminator and integrated light are a good choice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Ohlins shock made a world of difference (we are still waiting on the fork kits, but they are suppose to be here any day)

Brakes, exhaust, and wheels are on the next list of mods.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Dammit, I'm gonna need to get one of these.

:D

15. Dude. Do it. :D

We will play on them in the parking lot at Barber the week before the GNF. I will bring some cones and we will race. :D

16. Wheels? Does Marchesini make wheels for the Grom?

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Durrani is the only option right now

18. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

BST

19. Even better. :D

20. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

:crackup: