1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess this explains why the wildcards at Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jul 7, 2014.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

TV Ratings..... NASCAR wants them all.... Races used to be on at the same time 90% of the time.... Since the demise of Speedvision NASCAR has always had the edge... Now that that is gone DMG is simply putting the last few nails in the coffin.... They dont give a Rats Ass about 2 wheel racing... I mean cmon... When Road Atlanta went away after 3 decades of great racing that was the first clue... No effort in promoting, scheduling, or growing... I feel bad for ALL of the racers and families......

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I fail to see how AMA pro Roadracing was even a blip on the radar compaired to NASCAR tv ratings. I truly think that DMG bought AMA Pro with the best of intentions. But running a motorcycle series is very different then a car series. And to be honest, after being around car racing my whole life, motorcycle Roadracing fans in general are pretty damn hard to please. NASCAR fans are much easier to keep happy.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The theories are interesting and who knows if accurate - but when you try to revamp a series, push people out, have an economic plunge and subsequently run out of money, there just ain't much you can do.

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Struth, that sums it up pretty much sadly to say

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This does not negate the fact that it would land them in court. I would assume that Dorna owns the broadcast rights to all forms of media for the event. I sure they have thought of this and have people monitoring for just this type of hijacking of their rights.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That may be, I'm not an Int. Prop. expert.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter, someone will bitch about them.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good theory but the reality is NASCAR owns many series that are very successful and more likely to take market share away as they are car racing. Also, NASCAR doesn't own DMG, Jim France does. Close but very different.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Looks like M Mladin and B Spies killed the series when they left, if Shaun's argument is accurate.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jamie James and Mike Smith!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My guess on that was always a combination of Jim France didn't like the way AMA Pro was running the 200 and he truly is a motorcycle roadracing fan, so he bought the name/series to get that control and he truly thought he could make it better with the people who wanted to run it. However he was sold a bill of goods by those people and it's gone downhill since.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

14. caferace

caferace No.

Dunno. Could be. I'll find out in a couple of days, anyway. Looking forward to the weekend at Lagooner.

-jim

15. six6two

six6two AWD

Or Grand Am car series... etc? Can't let the nascrappers discover real racing! :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  16. pushystone

pushystone Well-Known Member

So, this phrase makes me laugh a little.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me too :D

Int his case it means that Jim France is obviously a large part of NASCAR and ISC - however his personal holdings - DMG - are not a part of those companies.

18. six6two

six6two AWD

+ Scott. Oh hell yeah!!!

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hey Broome, if you can't come up with who Mike Smith and Jamie James are, I'm gonna ban you and ban you hard. :D

20. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

We can only hope that they have had monumental losses and are willing to sell it for pennies on the dollar or just shut it down. I was all on board for 5 years of this mess and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Whoever is in charge does not know how to run a business and frankly I am quite surprised that any financial backer would put up with purchasing a business and having such losses compounded each year.

That said, maybe, just maybe they aren't incurring any loss and could give a shit weather the sport grows or not as long as losses don't pile up. ;)