Work at Walmart, can't afford to eat

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 19, 2013.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

3. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You can't fault their "business sense" when it comes to the hourly wage. However, what bothers me more is the full time part timers approach they take to avoid paying any real benefits. A company as large as walmart should be able to negotiate an incredible health plan for it's employees. Shoot, many stores have clinics on-site and nearly all have pharmacies. Walmart could make all of their employees full time and give them outstanding benefits and virtually free prescriptions. Doing so would relieve a huge strain from medicare/medicaid and welfare without making much of a dent at all in walmart's bottom line.

5. earacing

earacing Race Dad

The closing paragraph of that article is spot on.

6. sheepofblue

Let me take his statements and not challenge the data that is not specified other than in general.

Walmart is NOT the largest group of recipients, rather the unemployed are.

Most Walmart jobs are entry level thus will come from the young and inexperienced or unemployed. Thus resources and wages are low. In other words Walmart can be the route OFF of the government dole.

Also as the article states Walmart does not have the highest percentage of employees on the dole. So the highest number is due to the size of the company not the severity. So picket Dollar General first if you live in Missouri.

The number of employees on medicade is only slightly higher than the national average (5 vs 4) and again the jobs are entry level. That would seem to indicate the opposite is true of the accusals as a lower tiered workforce should be well above the average.

"There’s no national tally of where food stamp recipients work."

My ruling: Their ruling is poor. Mostly true is stretching it as he is intentionally using misleading facts and half truths.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

perhaps you should apply for a job at corporate providing benefits for all those poor poor employees. Id be willing to bet a 6 figure salary it ain't going to do squat for ANY Gov't program.

8. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I don't think any of us can honestly say what a complex mult-billion-dollar, multi-national corporation could or should do, how they would do those things, or what the results would be.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Walmart doesn't have to negotiate a health plan. They are self-insured, so the cost of insurance goes only to pay benefits and administer the plan, which they contract out to a health insurance company.
    Their available plans when I worked for them were as good as any employer I have worked for, and the cost was on the low side.
    When I left, I was paying $17 week for a family plan. There was always a period of 4-7 weeks at the end of the year when there was no weekly payment, in order to balance the program's costs, since they can make no profit on the insurance.
    Anyone who claims they can't afford $17 a week for insurance is full of shit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  10. sheepofblue

Impossible they are evil evvviilllll!!!

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What do you have to do to qualify for them?

12. In Your Corner

It's been over 4 years since I worked there, so I can't say for sure what it is now, but I believe it was 24 hours per week at that time. I couldn't find what it is now, but I did see that their insurance plans still start at $17 per week.

13. earacing

earacing Race Dad

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

But $17 a week will cut in to what they can spend on smokes and malt liquor...

15. In Your Corner

Btw, Walmart is absolutely dedicated to supporting members of the military and veterans. Any veteran that applies for a job within 12 months of being honorably discharged is guaranteed a job.
    There were a number of people in the reserves in the facility I worked at, and their jobs were guaranteed if they went on active duty. The company would keep in contact with them while they were active, keep fellow employees apprised as to what and how they were doing, offer support to their families and send them various supplies from both the company and fellow employees.
    When they return, they are welcomed with a celebration and treated like returning heroes. One of the guys who worked with me on the receiving dock a 45 year old reserve Sea-bee, wasn't given his old job back when he returned, he was promoted the day he got back.

16. sheepofblue

Quit upsetting them with facts.

Walmart is eeeevvvviilll!! :crackup:

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Am I reading this correctly, Miami-Dade COUNTY employees trail Wal-Mart?

Where's the outrage from Congressman Grayson on that?

The mean illogical part of me says I'd love to see WalMart shut their shit down completely before they fold and go union like all those Dems want......that'd be the ultimate FU to all those AH's.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm going to Walmart tonight to get SWAG for this chick who is cooking for me tomorrow.

Some
    Worthless
    Ass
    Gift

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment of the issue. With all due respect to you, I think I will go with their ruling over your ruling. In other words, much of it is true but has been pumped up and oversold by liberals, as they are known for doing.

I still view them as the utter destruction of America is a number of ways. The company, their suppliers, their managers, their employees and especially their consumers can still eat a dick. ;)

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

And once again I ask, are these people on welfare and food stamps because they work at Walmart or is working at Walmart giving them a chance at getting off those welfare programs? Has anyone done a poll at any Walmart and asked those that are making good money if they were on welfare when they started working there?