1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work at Walmart, can't afford to eat

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think all the comments about WalMart helping inexperienced/untrained/young/old people getting jobs and getting on their feet is a really valid one too. Everyone has to start off working somewhere and when you do you almost never have access to $17/week family healthcare or any of the other pretty good perqs of WM.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

These previously underpaid workers should publicly thank Wal-Mart for the opportunity to seek the wages they truly deserve elsewhere, all while still on Wal-Mart's dime.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Walmart opens and employs people, and they get bitched at, so they close and set the slaves free and now they're evil for not providing low-paying jobs.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You know which Company/Business is costing us plenty a fortune? The US Government.

Maybe if Walmart started charging $55/year to shop there, they could afford to pay higher wages?

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Costco also sells items in bulk. This result in a lower cost per unit but it requires a higher total purchase price. Not everyone has the budge to shop at Costco.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Walmart employess and probably 10% or more of the US population cannot afford to shop at Costco.

Apples are Oranges comparison are ridiculous. But they play a nice tune coming out of talking heads.

9. In Your Corner

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

People want others to pay more. Not them individually.

Our consumerism gave rise to Walmart. The same folks that decry Walmart won't pay $200 or $300 to get a TV fix. Everyone want to support the local shop but not with their monies.

Walmart cannot be blamed or held responsible in a vacuum. We all played a roll in how we got here. And, we lack the courage to follow what we preach.

We are not ready to save and buy quality products. That takes a new consumer mentality.

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If my intent was to establish martial law in America, I too would seek to control the flow of worthless Chinese crap to the citizenry.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm glad to know that we here on the beeb are consistent. Everyone pretty well feels the same today as when this thread first started. I can rest easy tonight. :)

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Marx RULES!!!!!!! :Poke:

16. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, they should have brought in a Union. That would have saved them and gotten them all the monies they want.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The government should stepped in and saved their jobs: Gov-Mart!
    Time to nationalize. :)

I would go work for them. It woiuld be a better option than flipping burgers for $15/hour.

19. In Your Corner

Wait until they make you do the WalMart cheer, you might change your mind.
    Gimme a dubyoo! Gimme anay!

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Nationalization is a bad thing. I am suprised we have not seen more calls for it to be implemented. The number in the mob that is expecting government to be the answer to all thing is only increasing.

The minimung wage is just one small step in the battle.

Like it was mentioned by some in the minimum wage discussions, it fast food goes the route of $15/hr, the current placeholders are going to be replaced by folks that know the meaning for hard work (and sacrifice).