Kids today? wtf...

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

a sandspur plant is grass. He wanted you to tear up all the grass? [poke/]

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:crackup:

My folks had a couple of acres with a bunch of pine trees. Our continual task was the raking and removal of the straw, it amazes me people get paid now to come put pine straw on yards.

I think one reason kids don't go outside is that people don't have yards of any size. My kids spend a ton of time outdoors, but we have several acres with a pond, a huge open grassy area and also some shady areas.

They also get to engage in fun activities liking helping cut grass, run leaf blowers, keep the firewood bin loaded, feed the chipper and anything else that needs to be done. :D

3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I make my kids play outside. When they're thirsty, I make them drink out of the hose. They think I'm a caveman.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The first time I went back to the old neighborhood in FL as an adult, I was stunned to see how small the yards actually were. I remembered the goal lines being much further apart.

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I used to bicycle around the streets in my neighborhood as a kid, a lot. But then I'm reading the news, and there is a woman getting arrested for letting her kid ride around on the street on her bicycle for child-endangerment, and they lived in a dead-end street. Maybe a bigger back story, but maybe not. Another kid gets run-over by a drunk driver. One shoots his buddy with dad's gun. Another gets molested by some sick m'fer. I don't have any kids myself, but it seems to me like a lot of things I did as a kid would currently get my parents in trouble if I did them today as a kid. Maybe I'm just more aware now. Hell, I remember being handed a .22 rifle to have fun with (after serious safety talks and demonstrations + supervision of course). Plus, we didn't have the internet, tablets, etc. If you wanted to play with other kids, you had to go outside to see other kids. Now you can do that from the couch. Exercise wasn't the point when I was a kid, it was just the play time that meant anything.

I don't think getting rid of video games, computers, etc. would be a smart idea though. While not educational directly, they do teach kids a lot about computer interfaces that will prepare them to openly except new technologies as an adult. I've seen little kids setup voice networks and lead dozens of other people in coordinated game play. I know a lot of adults who could not accomplish the same type of leadership and technical expertise. I would think the idea of Exercise (not just play) would need to become a concept to kids.

Then again, I don't have kids, so my thoughts are worth about....squat.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

There are no kids in my neighborhood. Well, not any more...

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No kids live around us, either.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ethylene glycol gummi bears in the Halloween candy? :D

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

At one point we had a 10ftt tall half pipe in my back yard. We always had dozens of kids around. Between that and bikes, motorcycles, trails, bb guns, bow and arrows and such it is amazing that I am still alive.

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Oh the memories. :crackup:

11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

All of you remember that the grumpy old man down the street said these same things about you... right?

12. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

I blame the parents of kids these days....Get home from work. Turn on the TV. Watch the same goddamn shows the same day on the same hour week after week after week.......

Parents used to be out mowing the lawn and riding bikes - leading by example.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Safe word?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking a "Mrs. Robinson with a bullwhip" scenario from his response. :D

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nah, he knew if he complained too much someone might put sugar in his gas tank.:D

16. backcountryme

What the hell are you talking about. I have never seen my dad or mother on a bicycle, I was the one that mowed the lawn, my mom was permanently affixed to her rocking chair watching General Hospital and my dad was always at work. And I was never in the house.

17. tito

tito Well-Known Member

this right here is why I got yelled at by my wife for not watching my 9 year old son take out the trash. she literally stood on the porch and watched him walk the 30 ft to the garbage can and back to the house. this was at 8 pm. last night. we do not live in a bad neighborhood. also why he and his friends are not allowed to ride their bikes unsupervised or go down to the park.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This. My dad almost never came outside with us, mom either. Neither owned a bicycle.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was convinced my dad had kids so he could avoid yard work.

20. backcountryme

Mine too. And never get his own coffee, change the channel, or adjust the rabbit ears. He did teach me to weld and work on cars. He is really a cool dude though. Always there when I need him.