1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids today? wtf...

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Nov 29, 2012.

1. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Or is it the parents?...

The Play 60 a day commercials got me thinking and I don't recall ever being told to go play for at least 60 min a day. If anything I was told to take it easy for a few Haha.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How many times do we have to yell at the little bastards to get off the lawn? :confused:

Acree? Orvis? Panther? Back me up here, wouldja? :D

3. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Who else burned through BMX bike bearings on a regular basis? About 2 years old and you could wiggle my pedals 3 mm in ANY direction...

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Yeah, my pedals were always messed up. Anyone else ride on just the pedal axles?

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep!!!

6. trancework

Eventually!!!! YES!!!!! Sometimes I had partial use of ONE PEDAL!!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Learned to ride on a bicycle with no f'n seat :rock:
    Foam padding taped round the seat stem. :up:
    Thanks dad :rolleyes:

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Uh. I rode my BMW bike everywhere but never burned up the pedals. Or I never noticed. :)

9. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

I never burned out a set of pedals. But, I do remember my mom being pissed at me for being out after dark on a weekly basis

10. MDGeist

MDGeist Tropical Splash rider.

Never burned through pedals or seats, but I couldn't keep tires on it. :crackup:

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thanks to video games, not all that often anymore. These days it's, ''Where is my damned remote!!!!!!''

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No, and the bearings in the last one I bought are still good 29 years later. You should have bought better sh*t. :D

<edit> Now that you mention it my daughter recently broke/wore out the rear hub on her bicycle, but it's a cheap Craigslist POS. Anyone have a spare 20" rim with coaster brake laying around? She keeps eyeballing my GT, I keep telling her to stay away.

13. trancework

Builds character! :D

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I rode an entire summer with no brakes. All was fine and dandy till I was going down a steep hill and a damn deer jumped out in front of me. I only missed it by a foot.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:crackup:

Should read "builds callouses". :D

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wow, what a coincidence. I was just telling my cousin the same thing (same age as me) about the good old days riding bikes around all day untill dark and playing football in the rain because it was just fun. This happened just last weekend when we were watching the game and they put that 60 minutes a day logo on the field. You couldnt keep us indoors when we were young.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

shoot... I had friends that got locked out of their houses on the weekend. How much I envied them. :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Like as not, in the olden days it was a kid taking care of the lawn, at least cutting the grass. :D

Before cable and video games, the only things inside were board games, books and boredom. Afternoon TV was mostly soap operas. Both parents working was the exception rather than the rule and people in your neighborhood looked out for each other. You were as likely to get disciplined by your friends Mom as your own. Outsiders were watched closely so parents were not as nervous letting their kids stay outside.

Since I was born in '56 the population has almost doubled. That means there are now twice as many below average people, perverts, and other miscreants.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

One other aspect of the playing outside.....you develop friendships and actually have to interact with other people.

I still hang out with the friends that I played outside with in the 60's. Matter of fact I was drinking beer next to a bonfire just last night with the kid that I met in 1962 (I was 2 years old).

Can't get that from a video game.

20. trancework

Naw man... that was the old man refusing to provide a lawnmower.... "This is Florida, I am NOT paying good money so that you can play sandstorm and blow half my yard a way." He then reaches down and tugs up an sand-spur plant, roots and all--"See what I just did?" Now YOU do that until the yard LOOKS mowed." :D