Opinions on termination wanted.

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Another factor I have to consider is there may be an opportunity for consulting work on an hourly basis. My "successor'" is brother 2's IT guy (who self describes his UNIX skills as mediocre, and will be taking over a room full of a dozen or so UNIX systems running everything from Oracle to a couple dozen B2B websites providing ERP services, automated processing of data feeds, mail services, etc. etc..).

I think they are under the impression they can move all these processes to a different platform in a week or two.

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

A few days. Cough cough.

And to think I took a 20% pay cut at the start of the year to help the company. I'm getting crabby again.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Kurt, been here, done this. Good luck and try to get some sleep, it's gonna be tough. 13 years is a long time, especially in a family owned company. Go with your gut, its usually right anyways.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

<cough couch> flu is going 'round.

and shit.

Call in with cholera next week

5. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

If you are going to use them as a reference then I would play nice. The only thing you get from telling them to fly a kite is some temporary satisfaction. IMHO

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

It's a shame that after all those years they can't even be honest with you. Fuckers.

If it suits you to use them for a few last checks, and you can stomach it then go ahead.

If not, then they've already showed what kind of people they are and they deserve no courtesy from you.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Use the next two weeks to completely fuck up the new guy, so when he screws it all up as soon as you leave, they come crying back to you. Then demand your old job back plus a 50% raise.

8. Ah yes - your position is being "eliminated" because they think Skippy can do the same work as you for much less money.

You should agree to stay on for two paid weeks to "train" the guy. Hand him a stack of manuals, point him at a couple of websites, and tell him not to bother you - this way no one can claim that you didn't do anything. Then spend the two paid weeks looking for a new job and surfing the web for viruses :)

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Now you can race full time :)

10. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Is the new guy who will be filling your "eliminated position" younger than you?

There are tax benefits that the company can claim by saying your position has been eliminated. If they plan to claim those tax breaks than what they're doing could be illegal. You might want to call a labor lawyer, and speak to the IRS.

When my job got eliminated in '08, after 28 years of service, I got paid double to come back and help finish up the projects I was working on.

11. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

I like the way these two think. :D

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I don't think he makes less than I do, especially with the pay cut from earlier this year.

I like the "training" idea.

It's on! I get paid for that, right?

If he is younger it's not by much. Interesting thoughts about the tax angle.

13. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

:clap:

That would be tempting. Nice that they want you to train your replacement... Tempting to day f&ck you and spend those two weeks working on your resume and applying for jobs.

But, probably want to consider securing your unemployment benefits.

Good luck, I've been there too and it sucks....

14. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

15. scotth

scotth Banned

What they said. Be nice until you have somewhere else to go.

But if you think you can swing it, I'd certainly mention to them that you will need time during the transition for a job search. Or don't if you think it'd be a huge thing.

If you get another job and they want you to start, the old employer shouldn't have a problem with letting you leave early. After all, they've asked you to go. That's when you become happy to stay for 4x your regular pay, or a lump sum of whatever.

For now, I'd be contacting people and sending resumes, and taking the two weeks they're offering.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What they have done, as it sounds, is consolidated your responsibilities within a restructure. Whatever you prefer to call it, it's legal and is unfortunately commonplace in the wake of the recession. My suggestions:

1. Ask for a termination date in writing. It's better for everyone if there is a clear cut date that you agree to seperate. Ensure all loose ends are tidied up and included (non-compete's, options, year end bonuses, etc...)

2. If you choose to stay and train, which I suggest you do, you need to have established what the expectations are for you to train the successor and what you are to train them to do. 2 weeks is not enough time to train someone at any job, plain and simple.

3. Negotiate. Obviously you have something they want so state your terms clearly. I suggest a weeks pay for each year worked. That's standard industry practice.

4. On your last day, regardless of feelings, shake hands and be cordial. Leave contact info in case they need it.

PM me if you need any help...

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Sure if your fast enough. First race is in March at Daytona, your ready? :D

18. CP10R

CP10R Im here to party!!

great advice

19. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Stay. Don't let pride get in the way of a few more easy dollars for you and yours.

Be cool, chill and enjoy. Never burn bridges.

20. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Best advice.