Bmw s1000rr

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Feb 26, 2010.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And the next two that you buy to replace it.

2. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

On of my guys just picked one up..Cant wait to ride it to see whats its all about!

3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

4. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Chip approx how much in parts? Im trying to see if my friends buys a bike and gets it shipped to you.

5. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

Seriously, Germany is a track day guy. Do you guys really think this is a smart move for a track day rider? A Superbike motor, 220hp. How long until he needs to refresh it? Superbike motors are not meant to last very long. What fuel will he need to now run at the trackdays? Maybe some Bioweapon will cover him on his 220hp superbike at the overcrowded trackdays....

Seriously, it is a great offer but why would you suggest sending a lamb in to a wolf den?

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Same reason some folks go to dog fights...

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Depends on what we do.....call me.

What should a track day rider ride? Is there an Hp limit to track days? I thought track days were about having fun?

I rode a Graves R7/1 Factory FX bike at a track day....should I have riden something slower?

I have a customer with a 2001 1070cc GSX-R1000 that we built in 2002. He drives it daily and does trackdays on it. He has over 30K miles on it. How long should a built motor last? Maybe we should ask him...

Lots of assumptions in your post...

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Depends. Did you crash it? :D

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is this one of those "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." kinda things? :D

10. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

What made riding that graves bike so fun chip? Dont say just because it was, did you really ring its neck? Did you run faster on it that you would on one of your SS Gsxr 1000's? Did you ride it faster than the top 10 club races ride their middleweight 600's?

Listen, i am all for some smiles from a high HP vehicle for a little fun now and then. And yes, we can use some example of where a motor lasted longer than it was intended.

But lets answer this question seriously, how long is a superbike motor expected to last? (Especially with the stock radiator)

I have a "AMA race team built" superbike motor in parts right now, because it came apart and i cant afford to build another superbike motor for screwing around. The thing ran like a raped ape for the time it lasted. But after almost a season, it finally broke one of the 3mm over JE pistons, which then destroyed a valve. After taking it apart all the valves were bent a little from how tight it was put together. I called for pricing on replacement pistons and it was $800. That on top of all new valves, gaskets, seat work, block re-work... Too much money to not be racing at the top level and refreshing motors every 3-4 weekends. I have a nice set of $1000 Carillo rods laying here as well...

You guys make a great motor. but a superbike motor for a trackday guy based upon the thought process of "why not" is just immature.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  11. Chip

Chip Registered

How long the motor is going to last is up the engine builder and the customer...the more you squezz it the shorter the fuse.

We build "Superbike" motors all the time for trackday guys and street guys. They run on pump gas and they are as reliable (or more so) than the stock motor....

You are making decisions for somebody else based on your budget.

12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

WTF difference does it make if he was running faster on someone else's ex-factory bike than on one of his own bikes? where are you pulling this shit from? comparing times at a trackday on another man's bike with top 10 club racers lap times?????:rolleyes:

get a grip. and for what it's worth, i happen to own a CBR600 F3 KWS superbike motor from who knows when. guy that sold it to me was very hesitant, thinking it was on it's last legs since he had run it for 4 full WERA seasons. guy he got it from had run it for numerous seasons, and he wasn't even the guy who had the motor built. when i got it, it put out 106 hp on pump gas (on a dynojet dyno) which is pretty f'n stout for a F3 motor. i ran the hell out of it for a full season + numerous track days. just when i thought it was getting tired, we took it down to the GNF. no better way to find out if your motor is tired. still pulls like a raped ape and i won the 7heavyweight race....

so there. put my KWS superbike motor in your pipe and smoke it.

to the S1000R owner......DO IT! you'll have a blast, i'm sure. and be "immature" while you're at it...

13. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends what are we defining as a superbike motor, a dumb down version and real superbike motor are two different things.

Wonder where all these friends will be when the thing is blown into pieces and you have to try to get new cases from BMW at $4800...... A lot of "That sucks man" and "sorry to hear that buddy" will be in that heartfelt thread.

14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Dustin I already talked to Germany right after he talked to Chip. I told him the exact same thing you just posted. Seeing this is his street bike and not his track bike there is no reason to build it up just yet. Esp. after he just picked up a new race bike minutes before this thread started.

15. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

Thats cool, I didnt know he was in the market for another bike... Good to hear.

16. NPSWilly

NPSWilly Well-Known Member

You read my mind.

17. Chip

Chip Registered

Your correct. Please inform every one that you meet that it is a complete waste of time and immature to build your motor.

and if you make the terrible mistake of building your motor.....this guy can do it better.

Sorry to you all for wasting your time.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

$5k should get you a new set of trick billet cases...lol. Dont know why you'd pay BMW $5k for an engine case that already proved to be weak if you've blown it to bits...lol

19. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

Jesus Chip, Quit crying. I have a ton of respect for you guys and your motors. If you cant see my point and you think every application can benefit from running around on a superbike motor then you are a much different person than i thought you were....

20. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

I don't think Chip is over the top in defending his position. Yours is basically "do any motor work and the rod is coming out the side of the case in a single season".

Superbike motors aren't made to blow up, the just slowly start losing compression from leakdown and parts start to wear. Nothing less than a stock motor necessarily.