1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks like a good deal for people to start racing KTM's

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Feb 23, 2011.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

2. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Guaranteed they sell all of them.....

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Spares will be an issue. But I do like me some KTM bikes. They build good stuff.

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

What are they doing with the warranty on these?
    That was my big issue with the Ducati EVO race program... U had to buy a new bike and you void the warranty the minute you take it on the track to race it... So even though the bike was "discounted" (not enuff of a discount IMO) you lose way more buying a bike with a 2 year warranty you never get to use... Just another reason I won't buy a brand new bike to race...

But that is a sweet looking bike!

Ride safe,
    AAron

5. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

A buddy and I have been discussing this type of Manufacture/dealer program for years. I'm happy to see one manufacture step up and try it out.

Doing this allows racers and trackday consumers to get exactly what they want at the dealership versus having to get a street bike and then spend the big bucks to convert it.

The only dealer that I'm aware that will offer a brand new motorcycle built to your liking is the Aprilia dealership in Texas, AF1 Racing. In my opinion the dealership wins and the consumer wins. The dealer is able to take the expensive OEM plastics and other parts off the bike and sell them to other customers who unfortunately have a mishap. The buyer gets a fair deal(credit) for the OEM parts and then can use that credit when purchasing the aftermarket race parts with that dealer. No hassle of ebay, craigslist, forums....

Regarding warranty issues, well that is something the manufacture will have to work out if they intend to market bikes for race use. Also, it depends on your dealer as they can help you if and when you have an issue that is truly warranty rated versus extreme use related.

Overall, I like this program and hope that other manufactures/dealers take a look and consider to offer something similar.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  6. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

The bike is really well thought out. The platform has been proven to be solid and dependable as it is the 2010 motor that has been used in Germany in the IDM series as well as notable racers like Fillmore and Ty Howard along with James Randolf.

The bike will include a Clubman kit which is essentially thinner head gaskets and specially designed cam sprocket adjustment plates. These need to be installed after delivery.

The exhaust is full on Ti Akra stuff and BEAUTIFUL to look at. Makes me wish the fairings were clear...

The amazing thing is the paint and bodywork. The attention to detail is amazing in that they did all the pin hole fill in, the prep work and everything to have it come out so well as it did. It really is the best looking race plastic paint I have seen...

Essentially, if you add up the quick shifter, the exhaust, the levers, the suspension components, rearsets, etc., you'd BLOW through the $20k price. This is the EXACT same retail price as a 2010 RC8R street bike. That's pretty stellar and seeing there will be about 20 in total coming to the US, they will be gone pretty quick.

The thing to understand is that KTM is getting a lot of attention and there are going to be more dealers bringing on the street line as the benefits are pretty darn good right now.

As for warranty, the idea here is that it is a race bike and a closed course competition only machine. You really cannot expect that a warranty is in place for such a machine. That being said, the company is awesome to deal with. Their customer service is small and intimate and therefore, if a problem should arise and can be shown to be a manufacturer issue, KTM will do what they can to assist. It is part of their DNA. They are a Race Ready company and they will do the best to make sure their customers are happy.

Of course, it starts with the dealer and I would expect that one should develop a strong relationship with the dealer in an effort to use that relationship in the time of need.

These are great bikes, guys and really - pretty damn affordable to go racing with. It is literally a turn key racer.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Spares an issue? Not at all. The components internally are OEM spec RC8R parts. Nothing special other than the head gaskets and honestly, easy to get ahold of. Now, if you buy the Superstock or Superbike kits, there are going to be parts that are tough to get as they come from Austria. However, the deal is that if you are racing one of these, you are best to pre-order engine components at the start of the year, have your dealer get ahold of Power Parts in Ohio and place an order. They will send the request to Austria and you will have parts when you are ready to refresh.

As for other items as the bike sits, they are all readily available and well stocked. Even things like rearset pieces like pegs, levers, etc. The guys at KTM know they will be needing replacement race components like exhaust packing materials, etc that are normally thin on stock. Again, pre-order and be prepared and nothing will be of an issue.

But again, spares are easy. Now, if you refer to things like used wheels, etc. then sure... Used stuff is tough to come by, but nothing different than say a brand new ZX10 that has little cross over parts, etc... Know what I mean?

8. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Looks like a great deal. Too bad I just can't bring it upon myself to race a liter bike when I still can wreck my middleweight bike. I don't want to be traveling an extra 30-50mph at the scene of my accident. I really like all the real estate on the fairing for sponsors.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love the idea.

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

All manufacturers should be doing this.

11. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

if i was i gonna buy a bike this year this is where my money would go!

12. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

+1 to Brian on this.

I've been racing KTM's for years and their parts supply network is just as good as the Japanese. There are some European bikes that have poor parts network, but KTM is not one of them.

13. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

agreed!

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i think it is awesome. im on the fence about brand new bikes going straight to the track based on that other thread, but its cool that a mfg is doing all the work to offer a small niche market the perfect product.

15. wow. awesome!

I've never considered a KTM as a bike I was looking forward to owning but, now it's in my head, at least. I hope some of the other manufacturers follow suit.

Although, I have an itch in my head that is saying taking a stock bike and building it is some of the best part about racing.

16. KILLEN

KILLEN Ninjafied

If I can find one next year, I will surely try to buy one... Too bad only 20 are coming. Maybe a dealer will be able to special ship one?

17. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Brain,

any word in KTM roadrace contingency for 2011?

18. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Freaking cool.

I remember the big issue with KTM parts when I worked at a KTM dealer was parts supply. Of course this is 6 years ago and we usually waited until we had $300 of parts at a time before we went ordering stuff, so I think it was more on the dealer. If one of the big four made a straight to race bike with most of the goodies on it, I would probably end up buying one.

19. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

I test rode the 2010 RC8R at Auto Club Speedway and fell in love with it!

The suspension, riding position, power, brakes and handling all felt perfect for me.

Only thing I did not like was the absence of a slipper clutch.

Well, KTM fixed that for 2011 and according to a KTM test rider, the 2011 handles even better than the 2010's.

Great deal if someone can afford it :up:

20. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

20K turn key to race in ASB & HWT.

I'd just as soon find a liter bike in the wera classifieds for 1/3 that and go racing.