Looks like a good deal for people to start racing KTM's

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Feb 23, 2011.

1. EricRoyal

EricRoyal Racer/Trackday Owner

Does the KTM contingency paying in all three classes for a single bike? I looked on KTM's site but could not find the rules as to minimum number of entries, ect.Doh, I just did another check for ktm and looks like you need 7 rider minimum.. it does not say if one bike is eligible and some smarter lawyer than me put disclaimer they can change the rules when they feel..but its standard fare for most manufacturers. looks like a 2010 qualifies too..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Cool thanks for the heads up. I may have to go Bazzaz or PC as I will map it for pump fuel and race gas.

3. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

And james randolph went slower than the year before by a second or two when I saw him. The bikes are slow...

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

And just like that.... The thread takes off..

5. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Annnddd here we go.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

But how are their cam pulse sensors?

I'll take a little slower over mechanical DNF any day - and you would, too :)

8. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Or, maybe he went slower as the competition wasn't as fast as previous years?

Tell Ty how slow it was last year in the undefeated 30 race season he had. Maybe tell Fillmore how slow it was when he won all but three races and those were podium spots.

The bike might be slow in overall top speed on the straight, but seeing these guys have proven them to be successful via wins, I'd say if they were slow, either the competition should be insulted or you might be jealous you aren't on one...:beer:

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

+1 this might be the only way I'd buy a NEW bike.

10. DavieStone

Not at all. Hell I was testing tires screwing around and was faster. The bikes may handle like a dream...but they are turds down the straights. We can train monkeys to hold the throttle pinned down the straights....which is where performance counts the most and where randolph was losing time and getting ass handed to him.

11. DavieStone

:mad:
    Suddenly a suzuki is sounding better and better!

12. Lizard 1

So, now James, Ty and Chris are monkeys? Under your logic, again - if they are winning on a bike that is a "turd" down the straights and apparently the only aspect that you measure a bike with in terms of performance, what are they if they are winning on said "turds"?

So, at the Vegas event in November, are you saying that James was 2 seconds quicker than you because you were "testing"? His :16.4 was a pretty decent lap time during the race he won, also...

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1746406

I'd say is he's getting his ass handed to him, I don't see it a lot. I am of course, only looking at WERA West results... But, I sense more jealousy than anything. Do you have a personal beef with James? If so, I understand that and respect that to a degree. But, to say the bikes are turds after not riding one, seeing the results of the three guys (I also am forgetting Bob out east here) I mention and you seemingly only focusing on James is weird...

Have you ventured into TX to race against Ty and seen how slow the bike is there? I cannot seem to see where it is a turd...

I don't want to argue. I am just saying that when you say "turd" and call guys "monkeys" is somewhat unfair. I am sticking up for the bike to a degree, but more to the riders I refer to. They are accomplished and have shown the bike to be successful.

How's that CBR1000 treating ya?:up:

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The only reason Randolf was 2 sec quicker that lap was because Davie ran out of fuel and had to push the bike for half the lap, was on a set of 2008 takeoffs, testing broken cam sensors, had a pipe installed for a rear shock while his was being rebuilt,......................................:Poke:

14. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

After seeing the Ducati contingency for the EVO, I think the KTM might be a better deal.

15. Hondaphile

Hondaphile Well-Known Member

So the 2011 track version doesn't have the 2011 dual spark plug engine?

16. DavieStone

Not jealous of James at all...I personally think he is a great rider. I focus on James because he is the only racer that I have seen run the KTM and who I personally know is a faster rider when he is not on the KTM. But if memory serves me right...I think that James was on a Suzuki that weekend. Besides....I run 17's out in Vegas and that weekend was the result of 2 bad cam sensors, one rear master brake cylinder, two blown motors and trying to set up a bike 50lbs lighter with limited sessions due to the fore mentioned. At most I got 4 laps in one race. But those are all excuses....maybe I should have brought a third motor to a club race. :rolleyes:

Top end speed and acceleration are huge...fucking huge my friend. When my big ass runs the 5th fastest lap time of the race at the Larry Superbike challenge only to get passed down the front straight by Stokes, Corey and the likes because my bike ran out of steam due to my freaking huge ass'd 250lb ass on it....acceleration is king when you are upright and holding the throttle WFO. I wasnt calling anyone a monkey...I was referring to the fact that it takes no talent to hold a bike upright and pin the throttle.

The KTM pound for pound, dollar for dollar and acceleration for acceleration are turds compared to the other inline bikes.

As for the Honda....its the best, nightmare of a bike I have ever owned. They eat cam sensors like my kids go thru skiddles candy, they setup unlike any other bike I have ever run....but when they are on...I have yet to ride a bike with as much frontend feel and back end predictability. The bikes flick better than any bike I have rode, they drive out of turns like a train on tracks and they feel like a 600 rather than a 1000 when it comes to the weight of the bike.

Honda fixes the cam sensor problem and I would rather own the Honda over any other bike. For now...it has caused me more DNF's in the short time that I have owned it, than in the 40 years I have been racing bikes.

Next bike I own will be one of Ulrich's 1k's

17. Lizard 1

Correct. It is the 2010 platform. Comes with thinner head gaskets and cam position plates for the timing needed for the thinner gaskets.

18. Lizard 1

I'd have to say that this post is much better to read and understand from you. It just came across differently at first.

I agree - the bike needs some more OOOPMH on top. But again, I think unless at Road America, at technical tracks, that lower top end can be evened out with better handling. The bike is really good when it comes to handling and I think combined with a little more oomph as mentioned, it could be better.

The idea is that considering that Suzuki has had how many more years in development, the KTM is a GREAT start to only get better as the company moves forward.

I think it is a great bike, but am partial. I do agree it needs a little more and the new motor addresses that a bit.

I am glad to see you are not slamming the riders. I was worried a bit there on that topic. I took it wrong and apologize for lashing out.

I will say, however that at retail and for a new bike to come as well equipped as this bike is and to offer such contingency - even in a class where the in-lines cannot compete, it is a pretty damn good deal. $20k and technically speaking, you can earn a good portion of that back. Ask Fillmore how much he won last year...

Is it perfect? Not at all. Is anything? Ask the Kaw guys how long they've been waiting on a great bike. There is always something better, but the thing here is that I am proud to see a company come out with such a bike, offer a support network via dealer services that is second to none and to allow the racer to try and recoup a bit of their expenses with a decent contingency.

You're a good guy, Davie from the sounds of it and certainly passionate. That's something we have in common. Cheers.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That and the inability to say something in less than 500 words :crackup:

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Davie and Brian.... this is epic!

In!