ZX10 Ohlins 30mm kit oil level height

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Suburbanrancher, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Can someone tell me the recommended baseline oil-level height for an Ohlins 30mm kit, 2011+ ZX10, 11.0 springs, rider 250 lbs w/gear. I've seen 160 and been told to go as low as 230, which is a helluva spread. Looking for a solid starting point - thanks in advance.

2. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

160 is a good starting point, especially if you are riding at different tracks that have varying layouts...like Jennings to Barber or Road A to Jennings. If everything else is good suspension wise and you are high in the stroke lower oil level, or if it bottoms and all you wanna do is get it off the bottom raise the level

3. khill

khill Well-Known Member

205-210mm

4. Suburbanrancher

^ Thank you :up:

5. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Just keep in mind the lower the level the sooner your gonna need to service that stuff, you really need to keep an eye on that shit. Not trying to be a know it all just saying from experience. But I agree with 200+ for an air gap.

6. Suburbanrancher

Thanks for that. Been working on different things to keep the front down and working better in the stroke; bike liked to plow through turns when the oil was set @ 160, but I'm using every mm of spring available under heavy braking with the 11's.

Found out this past weekend that stiffer springs (11.5) with a lower oil level was not the answer, as the understeer became much worse - so I'm going back to 11's and working from there with oil height.

7. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

its ok that your using all the stroke as well. I wouldn't be concerned at all. If your on the bottom mechanically then theres an issue. Data/stroke sensor would tell you that :) I know its not cheap but...... saves mass amounts of time.

8. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Chris,

Its OK to bottom as long as its not all the time. if you are using 99% of the suspension then you are using all of its potential. I would rather bottom into Turn 1 and have it work write everywhere else then have Turn 1 good and everywhere else blow.

9. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

Data/stroke sensor what kind or where would you buy this from

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Google linear position sensor or linear displacement sensor. Penny+Giles, AIM, and others sell them, forks use a 150mm sensor. You have to have some type of datalogging with +5v to use them.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

RM Racing and anyone else with experience,

I imagine you have used a bunch of different types of logging systems. Based on your experience, could you make some recommendations? I thought I wanted this for linear suspension like you are discussing, but I've heard I will get great gains just off throttle pot and brake pressure.

This is something I'm hopeful I can afford at some point this year for Tyler.

GPX Pro $6-800 plus sensors

AIM Pista is around $2K plus sensors

Race Technologies $1K up plus sensors, but no dash.

Any preferences on software, etc. I know the GPX Pro is probably easiest to use, but noticed they don't have math channels to figure out things like coasting time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I recommend the GPx Pro 8. The fact the it's the easiest to set up and understand is a big factor. I've used all of he ones you mention, plus some others. In the end, they all give you similar squiggly lines and you can usually determine engine and suspension behavior from any of them. Learning how to interpret what you're looking at is the challenging part. For club/Supersport racing, the GPx Pro is a very good package.

13. Boman Forklift

Thank you, RM.

14. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.xtracing.com/data/SE04-150_datasheet.pdf

would you need 1 sensor for each for leg or just one? how do these mount up? could you also use this on the rear shock?

sorry, dumb questions but i just picked up the gpx pro 8 and would like to get as much usable data as possible. especially suspension stuff, because i dont have a very good handle on that.

15. Boman Forklift

Yes. You get one for front and one for back. I've seen people tap into the lower fork leg on one end and then the lower triple on the other end.

On the rear, I believe they tap into the shock body and lower mount, but I haven't really noticed that. Did see a system the other day where they went from the rear swingarm to the subframe, very close to straight up from the axle. That seemed quite easy to damage and not the best idea to me.

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You need to machine mounts for the rear shock, plus use a tubular spacer for the fork mount and either a fork tube clamp or a small mount for the triple clamp. There is very little room for the shock sensor, the mounts are quite specific. If you need sensors and mounts, contact me, I can often supply what you need for the more common racebikes.