1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha R9.

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Mar 21, 2023.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Anyone have any info on it? I have an MT09 but really would rather not spend a whole bunch of money to make it more track worthy.

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'm hopefully it'll be a good sport touring platform. Not helpful, I know, but it's my thoughts on it.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The CP3 would make a real good track engine, the torque would be a lot of fun.

SirCrashAlot and BrentA like this.
  4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Isn't the R9 just going to be an MT09 with bodywork, that you would remove to make it more track worthy?

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Isn't that what the Tracer is?

Once a Wanker.. and cha0s#242 like this.
  6. stk0308

I already own a giraffe. An actual ADV bike(Tiger 900 Rally) not something that looks like one, but for the street. I still like a sportbike based sport tourer.

Rising likes this.
  7. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Cli
    I guess kinda sorta but my MT09 isn't the latest version with some of the rider aids, the rearsets and handlebar would also need to be ditched. Im probably just trying to make an excuse as to why I need two bikes.... one track and one street. I love that motor though.

stk0308 likes this.
  8. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Do it, then you have a spare when you crash.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  9. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

FZ09'er here. CP3 engine is outstanding, in my opinion. (biased)
    Over on our forum, we're anticipating news of the R9 soon. Some have pre-orders already.
    Definitely going to be an interesting bike.

The artist renders are pretty slick.

Also, for what it's worth... we have a member in CT selling his crashed bike for $2500. Damage looks minimal, and for that price it could be a great project for a track dedicated bike.

SirCrashAlot and YamahaRick like this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

After about 1,500 miles, I'm loving my Tracer 9 GT!

11. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Still going to get it ass kicked by the 765RS.

12. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

Can someone clue me in on this thing? Why does everyone act like the R9 is coming any day now, while it seems like that's been said for basically 3 years straight? Article after article of 'next EICMA' and yet nothing ever materializes.

Will this year be the year Yamaha actually announces something, or will I be making the same post in 365 days?

13. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Is the R9 supposed to be the new worse R6 to compete in the 750-955 supersport class? I don’t follow MotoAmerica as much as a lot of people, but it seems like the R6 is fading away. What replaces it?

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Did you hear Honda was coming out with a new V4 superbike?

15. stk0308

3 cyl motors are limited to 800cc in supersport. So, no this won't go there.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm sure FIM will homologate the R9. All it takes is a Mektronik ECU to restrict it. Twins was limited to 750cc water cooled twins but now that Suzuki wants the GSX8 in the class they bumped it to 800cc with restrictions for 2024.

18. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I just bought a 2023 XSR 900 for the street.

418 likes this.
  19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, the R6 won’t be homologated any more after this year I think and I believe the R9 will take its place in Next Gen Supersport and there will be a lot of people developing that as the new hotness. It’s less about displacement and more about close racing and getting lots of manufacturers involved.

20. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I thought I heard that a built R6 engine is the baseline for balancing the other bikes in the next gen supersport class. Assuming the R9 is the CP3 engine, is that engine even capable of matching the R6?