XT Racing - Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by #249, Mar 2, 2003.

#249 Well-Known Member

I just installed a new XT Racing timer with the 20" cable for the transmitter pickup. I mounted the timer on my stock dash assembly and zip-tied the transmitter pickup to the front of the fairing bracket.

I just got back from the first practice at VIR and could not pickup a signal from the transmitter while on the track. When I turn on the transmitter near the bike it starts timing, but not on the track??

Everyone says it can pickup the signal through race plastic, but I think thats the problem. I've checked all the obvious, but what gives? Any ideas??

2. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

it can not pick up through plastics., it has to be line of site ., it uses infared....so you need to move the pickup to an open spot !!!!

#249 Well-Known Member

Ah ha!

Just as I suspected. Thanks for the info.

4. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

you can shoot through the opening but it needs a clean site line. I have made a braket that goes on the faring stay and it seems to work ok. At vir most people make the mistake of putting the transmittter to close to the stare line. the bike is really leaned over too much to see the beam . put the transmitter down buy the begining of the pits. We will be at all the nationals and a few AMA rounds with some regionals mixxed in the southeast. Look for XT racing team at a track near you soon:)

5. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

Re: Ah ha!

does it work now ??? hope you had a good day after !!!!

it is raining in Ct. you lucky bastards !!!!:(

#249 Well-Known Member

Not sure...

but I'm sure that's the problem. I'll remount the pickup and try it at the MidAtlantic opener in 2 weeks.

7. Biker Scum

Biker Scum Well-Known Member

Interesting. Is that because of the kink on the main straight?

8. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Yep