1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2024: Rea replaces Toprak?!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 2, 2023.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Is the new R1 coming?

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Yet they apparently didn’t show anything to Toprak? :Poke:

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I had a friend with a direct line to the boss of Yamaha Europe talk my ear off for a half-hour yesterday about a different matter and, like a fucking idiot, it did not occur to me to ask him the real scoop about why Toprak is leaving. :oops:

Well, until I talk to him again, here's my theory: Toprak was slighted by Yamaha over the MotoGP deal. People often forget about the past when speculating about current events. Do you remember why he left Kawasaki? He (or Kenan) took offense to the way he was treated at the 8 Hours of Suzuka.

His move to BMW came soon after the disappointing MotoGP test and the comments (from the Yamaha camp) that followed. He can't win the championship again on the Yamaha anyway, so he might as well take a bag of money for a lateral move that's going to cost the people the people who disrespected him dearly next year. Pure Kenan move.

Why do you guys keep thinking that he will ever leave Honda? He'll go back to Japan before he rides for another manufacturer in WSBK.

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Agree, 100%.

prm and 418 like this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I don't blame Toprak for leaving after the motogp snub. I dont think he will do much other than make money at BMW but at least he has that. If Yamaha steps up their game with a new bike Rea may have a shot at another title or two. If not, I say its the Ducati show for a long while. I can't see Kawi stepping up and spending more than they did with Rea. And Honda..... i cant figure out for the life of me what the hell they are trying to do in SBK.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mesa if they aren't stupid.

8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Rumor is that Yamaha were going to make him by far the highest paid rider in the WSBK paddock. I think he was a little pissed about the whole MotoGP thing. He hinted they didn't really try to make the bike fit him for the tests.

9. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Bulega to replace Rinaldi at Aruba.it so there's one other potential KRT rider out of the mix for Jonny's seat next year.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C’mon

11. kenessex

Yup, I mean it. Who would you pick as a better choice?

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Brad Ray, Redding, Bassani, or bump up Huertas.

13. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Redding?? Head case. Also not sure how effective he is in supplying feedback that is meaningful to the crew..

Circacee likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You’re legally insane.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You do realize we are talking about world sbk here, not motoamerica, right?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Even MA, is he legally insane?

arguably the best open seat in a major series and you’re going to give it to a young chucklehead? Not harshing on whose his face but, no!

Fuck no!

17. kenessex

Young chucklehead???? I think he is 28, has raced pro for 10+ years, has raced all kinds of bikes, has a bunch of wins and track records on a Kaw 1000, seems to be a good team player with a great attitude. He would have the international crowd covered, but also is almost an american to put in the series. He has won a ton of Kawasaki contingency money. I would put him on the bike before a headcase like Redding.
    I think the insanity might be yours. Wait til you see how well he goes on the BMW Superbike at COTA. You will be impressed.

KneeDragger_c69 and Rdrace42 like this.
  18. redtailracing

You do realize you're talking about someone who has never even won a national level superbike race, right? In fact, I don't recall him even having a pro championship to his name. And you want to put him on the winningest bike in world superbike from the last decade? Nothing against Mesa, I like the guy and cheer for him. But holy shit, out of all the dumb shit you've said on this board, this might take the cake. I'm honestly still not sure I even believe you're serious because this comment would definitely fit right in if posted by that VR45 tard/troll.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. kenessex

While I am mostly not serious, the Kawasaki does not appear to be all that. Rea, who we can all agree is a great rider, has 1 win and his team mate Lowes has only 1 podium, this year. Mesa has a history of being able to jump on a bike and do well, he has the ability to learn tracks and work well with a team. I think he would be a good representative for Kawi. Would I put him on the Kawi if I was in charge? You bet I would. Would it be a smart move? Probably not, but who would be a better choice and why? So far nobody has said anything other than I am insane, without providing a better alternative rider and a rational to explain it. How about you, who would you put on that bike?

20. redtailracing

I'm with Dave but will expand further to say really any available MotoGP guys. Every one that I can think of in recent years who has made the switch and landed on a factory team has instantly done better in WSBK than GP. Bautista, Redding, and Lecuona come to mind.

Boman Forklift likes this.