1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW, Who is this Steve Atlas Kid!

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffb, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jeffb

jeffb Member

WOW,

Who is this Steve Atlas kid who was @ TWS for the WERA National this past weekend. He was flying, I had him @ a 1:46.3 on a 600! and I heard it was his first time there.

This kid needs a factory ride. He was all over one of the Valvoline bikes in 600 Superbike.

Does anyone know where he came from, I have never seen him before?

2. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

He came from Minnesota or something, usually rides a SV650 I think.

The two kids on the Valvoline bikes were also at TWS for the first time, Matt Furtek and Danny Eslick, and it was Eslick's first race weekend on a four-stroke road racer, his other road race experience has been on a RS125.

Atlas was featured in one of the Young Guns stories in Roadracing World.

3. jeffb

jeffb Member

I talked to him for a short while, real nice kid, he said he was riding a 600 suzuki this season, and wants to go AMA Superstock racing next season.

I think a factory support team needs to take a look at this kid, FAST, young, super nice. What more do you need!

4. John Ulrich

In the last two weeks at least five different people have said the same thing (more or less) to me about five different riders.

So at this point, I'd need about 10 more bikes, five more mechanics, two more semi trucks and maybe an extra $500,000 cash.

Let me know when you'll be making the delivery...

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

hey john, can i buy my own ride in the valvoline truck?

6. BluDuc Racing

BluDuc Racing Active Member

Steve Atlas

Steve is from Plymouth, MN and is a great racer and promoter of the sport. The 600 he was riding - I think it's stock except for the exhaust system. He won his first Novice race and has been racking up the wins every weekend in CRA and CCS etc. The guy's in college at the Univ of MN and will be one to watch for many years to come.

Someone help this guy find a ride!

7. John Ulrich

Brad--

Why not? We can have you handle PR when you're not riding...

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:D ok fu*&stick, when can i start!! :D

9. John Ulrich

Most of them are nice kids, many of them are in college, many of them come from disadvantaged families, and no doubt all of them "deserve" rides, which is why it pisses me off when people tell me there is a shortage of young, developing talent in the U.S.

There isn't.

In Atlas' case, he sent his e-mail in just about 4 weeks after two slots in the pipeline were already filled.

It just isn't so simple as saying, "here's a good one, add him to the team." It takes money and infrastructure and good mechanics for each rider.

I'm working on a program to help more kids get a shot at the dream. Details to follow.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2002
  10. John Ulrich

Brad--

E-mail your credit card number and what your credit limit is. Then, if it's high enough, we'll discuss final payment schedule and other details, such as your future work handling all inquiries regarding loaning of parts and tools, and interviewing potential additional riders.

11. jeffb

jeffb Member

John,

You may not have room for him, but you must know of someone. You seem to be in the know as far as AMA roadracing does.

All I am saying is keep the kid in mind, he seems to be serious about making a career out of roadracing and would be a good investment for the future.

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

john, i hope you saw the humor in my "buy a ride" joke. i certainly didn't insinuate that someone did. i just wanted to pay to have a sweet truck, and great mechanics telling me to go faster and wad your shit!!

13. John Ulrich

Jeff--

Yeah, actually, I was planning on keeping an eye on him at the ROC and GNF, for future reference. Furtek speaks very highly of him.

I talked to him once, I think it was Daytona last year when he was still on an SV I think, but I don't think I've seen him ride this year; I don't remember seeing him at the Brainerd AMA National.

14. John Ulrich

Brad--

Yeah, I got it, just playin' along.

And we are in the process of making some staff changes...I'm looking into some guy who was highly recommended, name of Erv or something like that...

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you don't want that guy. he's never seen the inside of a suzuki!!!

16. jeffb

jeffb Member

John,

Sounds like a plan. As far as I know the weekend of the AMA national @ BIR, he said he was racing @ the new Mid America motorplex? I heard he has the 600 lap record around there.

17. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Hey John, Any hints as to when an anouncement would be made about Matt Furtek's and Danny Eslick's possible future with Valvoline?

18. John Ulrich

After the GNF.

19. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Cool!!!!

Thanks.

20. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Hey JU, how about some old codger like me? I am from a disadvantaged background and all that. Do you think I have a chance?