1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodcraft Key Eliminator Harness

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fzrkidd, Nov 16, 2022.

1. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

I have a stock 2018 Honda 600RR that I am thinking about putting a key eliminator on. The bike was rekeyed at some point, and I have two different keys for the ignition and gas tank/seat compartment. My question is, does this change ANYTHING about the bike other than how it starts and is turned off? I'm setting this up mainly for track days, but I am keeping it streetable as I do still ride from time to time. I know the harness states for competition only, and I am aware of the risks of having a keyless system if the bike is parked somewhere while I'm out riding. Are there any other complications that I may run into by doing this??
    Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

You can just leave the cylinder on to fake people out, and plug it back in when you want to street ride it.
    Or if you remove the key cylinder you will lose the steering lock as well. That said, I don't think having or the lack of having a key has ever stopped a bike from being stolen? Most thieves willing to steal a bike wouldn't figure out using the run switch alone... and steal it anyway.

You'll want a keyless gas cap. I have seen many a newbie hammering a flathead into a gas cap on track days:( Pull the seat lock off as well, I'm not 100% on the Honda, but most use a little cable to release the seat, make one you can pull by hand.

3. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

Didn't think about the seat issue, but after looking at it, I can stick a finger in the hole after removing the lockset and release the seat! Also, I already have the keyless gas cap!
    I'm with you, if someone wants to steal it, they will no matter what. I just wanted to make sure the change doesn't affect anything else in the electronics on the bike. At this point I think I'll be just fine!

4. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Electronically, no difference. It simply bypasses the redundant function of the key/kill switch, to only use the kill switch. Power supply, etc. is the same.

................... Key ............. Kill Switch
    (+)_______./._______./.________(Ignition circuit)

...........Key Bypass..........Kill switch
    (+)_____._._________./.__________(Ignition circuit)