1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this housing bubble pop already?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

We've been looking for a bigger place for over a year now, and things are just getting insane. we were set to go bid on this place- https://www.zillow.com/homes/9975-Township-Road-68_rb/107274830_zpid/
    Pretty much perfect for us (if a little far from civilization), but not a spectacular property. Pics are deceiving- the kitchen is TINY, bedrooms are small. I thought their plan to auction the place was ambitious- reserve was $300K and there was a 10% buyer premium, and buyer pays closing costs. Well, somebody offered $400K for the place and it's pending sale now. This may sound reasonable to some of you, but considering where it is, I bet 2 years ago it might have been worth $200K max.

23103a likes this.
  2. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out of Austin. I owned my house there for 8 years, and in that time, it doubled in value. In the 3 years since I sold it, the value has gone up another 50K. It's absolutely nuts everywhere now and won't be slowing down anytime soon.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

FREE MONEY FOR EVERYONE!!!

BROsiah, sheepofblue, 969 and 3 others like this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

If I could just give a shout of thanx to Covid...

[​IMG]

969, YamahaRick and motion like this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

All the people I know in real estate have had very low inventory for the past two years so the prices keep climbing. I have a rental that I really want to cut loose in the spring so hopefully it can last a little longer

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, if that was next door to me it would be over 800k easy right now.

G2G and Pixelator like this.
  7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I think there is wave of people moving from parts of the country with extremely high property values (California, Washington..etc) to states that were historically cheap - Georgia, Ohio, whatever. That will keep driving prices up, plus low interest rates, and low inventory (builders can't build fast enough). Not to forget good ole Covid, and new way that people work/live - work from home / work from anywhere concepts. I do not expect a real estate slow down in my area.

The Great One likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

those are maple dollars...so about $16 freedom dollars

969, Resident Plarp and TurboBlew like this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not a damn bit...but thanks I guess.

I understand all the reasons for the rising prices, but still don't get how people can afford it (my thought is...they can't...and at some point there'll be a bunch of foreclosures). We both have decent jobs and kids are pretty much grown, and looking at the numbers I can't see taking on the burden of a $300K place. We can do it, but there won't be much left over to play with, and if we lost one of our incomes we'd be fucked.

10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

You’d be surprised the wealth in this country and more importantly others. Underwriting standards have gotten tighter since the GfC so all the crazy buying houses you can’t afford and stuff is pretty under control. Rates have a lot to do with it. Aging population and people
    Leaving homes/$ to their kids is on the rise.

these are secular tailwinds for housing and then add in what others have stated about people moving, etc.

the one thing that’s frustrating is i was in the market for a place in Mammoth Mountain. I decided to let a family member join the hunt with me and own it together. Well since this covid thing a happened places are going crazy. That is one market that I feel is unsustainable. A lot of people buying vacation homes and I don’t know how much of it is covid or they truly want a place. Condos are literally up over 200-300k in a few short months. I’m not interested at these levels.

G2G and Gino230 like this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Every bubble pops, eventually, every time.

YamahaRick, TX Joose and tony 340 like this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Unless you go there 3x a month you're better off just renting somebody else's stuff and investing your money.

The island I live on now is nuts for waterfront. Lot down the street is up for 600k and doesn't even have water or sewage or gas or electric.

I could burn my house down and still sell it for 350k. Market is insane here and will correct sooner or later.

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I don't think it's a bubble type of situation. Property values that were under valued are rapidly catching up, because people are leaving over priced parts of the country.

pscook, BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

IMHO, outside of the usual suspects, property values in the USA are, or have been, too cheap. Look anywhere in the world... real estate is quite costly, relative to personal income. USA has been a bargain for too long...

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That is not too far from to where I grew up (Zanesville). Looks like prices are still pretty cheap out near Zanesville, but I wouldn't want to move back there. Only two reasons to even stop there: Tom's Ice Cream Bowl and Adornetto's.
    As to leaving "overpriced" parts of the country, I haven't seen that happening yet here around DC. Market is nuts with very low inventory both close in and further out.

Also bubbles don't always "pop" sometimes they just leak down a bit.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's why there are so many foreign investors......our stuff is cheap to them.

motion and BigBird like this.
  17. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My wife sells new construction residential homes in Cumming, GA. Not far from HWY400, reasonable access to Atlanta. An area that was not long ago considered middle of f@cking nowhere. $600+K homes are selling like hot cakes, with no signs of slow down. 10 out of 12 buyers are moving from out of state.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

they also are trying to diversify their portfolio and get cash out of their country. like the Chinese buying 50M penthouse on park ave.

Rico888 and TurboBlew like this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, as discussed in the great migration thread here:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.