Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There was a few Australian kids in that Honda Asia cup and those series.

Namarow likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If it did, then you were someone racing near the front of the pack. There were a lot of people behind you that contingency did nothing for.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

True, I forgot about that. That still involves leaving the island (or a lot of long-distance travel, not sure which way they tend to go).

4. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

So then the answer to the original thread question has zip to do with our lack of supporting feeder series and more to do with the lack of commitment and courage as a nation.
    :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They race GP bikes back home before they migrate.

6. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Turn junior cup into the "American Honda Cup" and have them run stock NSF 250Rs. You can buy a complete NSF for less than it takes to build a competitive N400.

Namarow likes this.
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Papa, you know where that article about Remmy Gardener’s path to his Moto2 championship was from?

I read it and I think Wayne said they had spent $2M Euros to get there… and I’d presume he has great connections… I liked his style… I read there was a disconnect between father and son now but hope he sees more success.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yes, but it wasn't that way from the beginning. Early on I was all gung ho and ready to go. The longer I raced, the more the struggle to continue became harder to justify and felt more like a grind. But because I had also been doing it longer, I had also gotten faster in that time so contingency starting kicking in and alleviating some of that pain. Sure if you don't advance as quickly, then the motivation to continue probably diminishes more quickly.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've been thinking for many years now that one potential way to grow young talent with international potential might be, and just hear me out here, a geographically-limited national GP series. Pick one quadrant of the United States, run the series there and call it a national championship. Sanctioned and funded by MotoAmerica, operated by WERA, CCS or other club racing org. Races at all the MotoAmerica rounds held in that geographical area plus other regional events on the club's regular calendar.

Yes, that means half or more of the families serious about running the whole series might have to move or at least spend half the year on the other side of the country from where they live. It is a lot closer and more affordable than going to Spain.

Namarow, lopitt85, brex and 1 other person like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know what particular article you are referring to.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Honda doesn't officially import the NSF250R to the US, you have to get them from Japan and over here yourself IIRC, if not looking to grab a used unit? RSC isn't sure any more will be made available, and doesn't have any in stock.

You'd also loose the involvement of KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki in the class.

12. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Fair. KTM arguably has an equivalent that just isn't "imported"

Edit: No sane team is running a Yamaha anymore.

13. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I saw a Schwantz interview recently. He mentioned that at around that time period, he thought he and Fred Merkel were the only riders drawing a salary in the US. Contingency was insane though. Polen made $260k in '86/'87.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When Polen originally rode for Yosh, word was he was paying for the ride.

15. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

This rule that you can't ride a MotoGP bike in their series unless you have been approved is a crock. If your a proven professional racer (MotoAmerica, BSB, Australia, WSBK etc) you should be given the opportunity to jump on a 2 wheel MotoGP machine and race. I can understand an age limit but not their dorna country club attitude o_O

Never understood it...

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

it was about the money they spent and the moving/living/racing path they took to get him to that point.. written in the winter of his championship… was hoping it rang a bell… I’d like to read it again now…

17. redtailracing

Last I checked, SX/MX do something like this with east and west series for their 250 class. Those with the means may run both but points are calculated separately. I assume it works as they've done it for years.

18. redtailracing

Not saying you're wrong but I've never heard of this... is this really a thing?

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

he was the first contingency killing privateer… why would he pay for a ride that the purse and or endorsements would be less than he made?

I don’t know and haven’t talked to him since he rode my Superbike at Road America when I was injured in 09 but I know he didn’t pay me and I didn’t pay him :D the negotiations were odd to say the least though :)

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was thinking even smaller than east/west. Like drawing a line from NJ to Daytona to Barber to Pitt and race inside that perimeter. I just made that up. I'm not looking at a map.