1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Have you seen some of these kart tracks? Completely unsafe, at any speed, for mini motos. Plus, many kart tracks can barely afford insurance for karts. Mini-motos is a whole other pile of cash requirements.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It depends on the kart track honestly.

stk0308 likes this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I violently disagree. Maine for example has ONE remaining track where minimoto is allowed, and it's continued existence is not guaranteed at the moment. NH, nada, Mass... big zippo. There are kart tracks in all three, but they almost universally do not allow minimoto, period. We made progress with one in NH, waiting to see how 2024 goes before counting them converted, but they're the odd exception. The next closest opportunity is NY and NJ.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

True, but there is a percentage of the younger people on scooters who enjoy riding and transition to motorcycles as adults. They become the grownups that you see flooding parking lots with thousands of motorcycles at some GP or SBK races.

khill likes this.
  5. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Absolutely valid point. As is that (almost) all those commuters buy helmets, jacket, tires, oil and lots of other stuff that supports a healthy local motorcycle industry in general.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'll disagree, in-part, to the rich kids game statement. the main reason the US was not a traditional front runner in soccer is because our players did not play like the rest of the world does. Essentially, it would be the same as if every Euro country decided to play American Football. It's simply a different game because it's ingrained in the culture.

In regards to roadracing, if we had a population of 5,000 young kids that trained with Spanish or Italian kids on Ohvale's, Flat track, motocross, and supermoto bikes everyday, we might have a shot.

7. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

100% agree on the exposure part. You need much more in terms of available facilities and just pure numbers.

On the soccer part, I will stand by my original statement. I've been involved in the sport for over 50 years in one form or fashion, and the pathways to playing pro, even overseas at the 2nd division are largely dependent upon a family income level that's above average. Lots of exceptions (I raised one) and it's improving continually, but the biggest gains would be when advancing out of regional travel play is sponsored or subsidized.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

And Richard Petty and Elvis....

stk0308 likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There are racers in Europe looking for less expensive bikes too. And they can go pick them up in person.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She's 9. You're at the point of learning how to go racing not at the point of looking for her to be a professional racer. You are absolutely not at the point of running a National series in the US. It would be a huge waste of time and money that would be better spent on more track time closer to home and building sponsors and relationships for the future. Too much too soon has lost the sport a shit ton of kids and families because they go "pro" way before they're ready.

Where do you live? Once she's ten we have mini races at most of our events.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed.

What was there 20 years ago? I don't remember anything being in place beyond the obvious - club racing to pro/am to pro. Building relationships and skills along the way.

It didn't happen because it was never truly feasible. Same for red bull rookie cup here and all the other grand ideas to get kids on the world stage. Every single one of those ideas wants to skip important steps in the rider and the family developing their skills they need to make it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wonder how many riders Fiji send to European racing series?

:D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Soccer is a rich kid game? Since when? I see poor kids playing it in parks in pick up games all over the place. Of course going pro is a whole different thing but there are less HS soccer teams than the other stick and ball stuff so it'll take a bit more. But if you're really looking at being a pro in anything it takes money - be it from sponsors (aka alumni in college with scholarships) parents it's still required.

PatricksDad likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet again, apples and oranges.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Potential eyeballs don't mean shit. They have to be eyeballs actually watching the sport for it to succeed.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

As far as 20+ years ago I'm talking about things like American Honda paying for Hayden to go to Europe.

With the ohvale thing it literally did happen, the last few years the winners of the mini cup have gone to Spain and competed.. what didn't happen and was absolutely feasible was help from motoamerica financially, or literally any other way to help the select kids and parents get over there or even advertise it here which didn't happen. There were people from motoamerica that paid their own way to go over and help and support the kids. That's wrong imo and motoamerica could help with that.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It depends on how you approach it (like anything). Around here you can play rec as a kid and that’s a couple hundred a year which is cheap. You can then get into playing travel soccer and that’s where the money starts adding up. You could get away without travel but that’s stacking the deck against yourself. Then there’s indoors and paid pickup games and private coaches.
    If your goal is play HS around here, it starts costing because it’s so competitive just to make a hs team here. Last year it was something like 160 kids trying out for ~ 50 or 60 spots.

in the real world and not nova soccer can still be a cheap sport but this is Hell and Nothing in Hell is cheap.

We were joking last night about how much it costed for the kid in lacrosse and how it’d be now almost triple if she was rising up today. Would be cheaper to send her dirty track racing with the goal of letting loose the cannibal on you and WERA . :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Welfare check on @dsapsis . :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, it’s used incorrectly but I didn’t care and I thought it was funny.
    I sometimes find the stupidest shit funny in my old age.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would MA help Brandons series financially? Yeah the kids went to the world thing - and what did it gain them other than a lick ass vacation? How many of those families that ran the series are now totally out because they spent all their money?

As for MA paying for people to race overseas - that is beyond ridiculous. They have their own series that is still not making money to support and keep growing, not some individual racing effort. It's like people who ask us for sponsorship - we have bills to pay and most people in racing even in Europe already know our name.