1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here smokes (food, not cigs)

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW on the smoker choice - cheap ass propane from Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember, other one broke so I went to whoever had one in stock that morning).

I am considering a new one, like the newer setups with a separate door for the wood/water. If I ever get to the point of enjoying spending all day tending it I'd look at an offset or the like but for now I prefer the end result more than the process.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I live down in Georgetown, but I'm supposed to go up to Perfect North on the 3rd with a group of friends, so hopefully we can work something out then.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That makes sense, I did get a little careless with it when I washed t.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

As for smoking tips, I don't have a ton, but I've learned a couple things for pork butts. I've probably only made 4 or 5 in the last 2 years. I've always done overnight smokes on my Egg. The first few I did for around 14-15 hours at 225-250 on the dome thermometer, and I always had to wrap the butt in foil for the last two hours in order to get it to the temperature I wanted, in the time I needed it completed. The last one I made I didn't wrap and it took closer to 17+ hours to reach 200 degrees internal temperature. Honestly, I preferred the wrapped meat better. It seemed like that long unwrapped really allowed it to dry out in those last hours.

The other thing I learned was the difference in texture when removed at different temperatures. At 195*, the meat was still pretty chunky with big sections of fat left still in it. At 205*, it basically went to mush. My goldilocks temperature is now 200-202 degrees. Around there I find the fat to be rendered, yet it still maintains a good meaty texture.

I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to cooking, but I think I make a great pulled pork, but it isn't phenomenal yet. I think the thing I need to work on next is vinegar application. I've done a little basting with apple juice/apple cider vinegar during the smoke, but I don't think it was enough, or made enough of an impact. My plan for my next butt is to do a pretty substantial mop in apple cider vinegar as I'm wrapping it in foil.

5. Scotty87

Funny, I’m the opposite. There’s times I smoke shit that I’m not even planning on eating just because I love getting up super early and getting it going, enjoying a nice breakfast beer, taking a quick nap and then spending the day tweaking the temps.

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My first wireless thermometer was a Charbroil I think, because I needed it that day and it's all they had at Lowes. It finally crapped the bed, so I just bought this one because I saw it pop up on slickdeals for $42:
    https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Blue...0&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inkbird+ibt-4xs&psc=1

I haven't smoked with it yet, but I think I'm going to like it. It is exactly at 100* Celsius in boiling water and seems to respond faster than my pen thermometers. It has a magnet back so you can stick it on things and 4 probes (which is probably 2 more than I'll use.) It also can be controlled with an app, so you don't have to carry around a separate receiver.

7. Scotty87

I agree with all of this. For me the wrap is critical for exactly the reasons you stated. I would definitely mop before wrapping too. You must be cooking some huge pieces, I’m usually around ten hours to get one to 200. Also agree that 205 is too much unless you’re doing it pulled.

Are you guys injecting? I never have before but I thought that the last shoulder I did was lacking flavor a little so I bought an injector and plan on using a cider/vinegar mix.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There's your first problem - never wash them. Although the wife has done so with the Thermoworks stuff when I didn't catch her til too late and never any issues. The others all died.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense and I look forward to doing that some year. I could now with some smokes but overall I've got other things that need doing around the house or for work when we're home so the propane with the remote for the thermometer just works better.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never inject or even bothered mopping and no drying out issues. I did do apple cider in the water pan last couple of times and it made a difference - not huge but enough to make it worth doing in the future.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why are you guys going to 200 or 205? 190-195 is perfect for pulled, 165 is great for sliced.

12. Scotty87

Seriously? How the hell do you sanitize the meat probe then? I don’t wash the grill temp one.

13. Scotty87

Serious answer - because I read it on the web.

I did yank one at 185 once and found it kinda chewy.

Edit - Now that I think about it, that was a beef brisket so that’s probably a little different.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I mean don't immerse it more than anything but mainly I wipe mine down to remove the crusty stuff if any and that's about it. Not like they'll grow bugs with the heat they get to.

15. Scotty87

Are you guys soaking chips or throwing them on dry? How much do you use? I don’t soak and usually throw on around a handful.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've only done brisket once and overcooked it, need to do that again. I finally did some shoulders to 190 or 195 at Barber MA at 200-225 on the smoker last year. Huge difference and worth the 15-16 hours. I'll bump the temp up of need be in the future to get them to 190 if I'm short on time. They'll still be great even running it at 250 the whole time.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure on the other setups since they're using charcoal and such. I do a combo of the big chunks in bags at Home Depot and chips. I remember to soak the chips about half the time, it does help them last longer for sure. I don't bother with the chunks. I fill the cast iron box with the chunks then chips to fill in the spaces, that way they start smoking quicker and the chunks will start around the time the chips are gone. Usually replenish every 3 hours give or take then stop once the meat hits 140.

Cool thing about the chunks is you're essentially making charcoal, I dump them into an old aluminum pot but then toss them down the hill when it's full. Really need to buy a basic Weber and use them the next time I have enough.

18. Scotty87

Yeah I shoot for 225 but don’t stress about 200-250. I use a charcoal chimney to get it going, then I dump that into my fire basket that has old coals and some new ones already in place. My biggest hurdle is right after that the temp spikes to around 275 and won’t come down unless I close all three valves and just barely open the top vent. Problem is, that completely starves it for oxygen and it kills the fire. I wait till it starts dropping, then open all the valves until it stops dropping, then close two and adjust the open one from there.

I need to work on how much I have the top vent open. Seems like a lot of people run that completely closed, but if I do that I have a very hard time keeping the fire going, and it results in a very smoky flavor, it’s overpowering. That could be because I’ve been using dry chips or maybe too many chips, tho. Really need to smoke more often so I can fine tune my process.

19. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I am a BGE and Stoker guy.
    I also went to Myron Mixon BBQ school. I learned how to smoke a pork but in 6 hours that is just as tender and juicy as one done 11 hours.

Attached Files:

Funkm05 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why I like propane, just turn down the gas and temp drops. If it's dropping too slowly I kick open the vents :D

No clue what you mean by overpowering smoke flavor :D