Which new wireless router?

Discussion in 'General' started by jkhonea, Apr 21, 2015.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Budget?

The one I just mentioned got real good reviews, under $200 OTD. Easy set up and pretty neat software package/app too.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Just had a LinkSys Cisco Pancho of some flavor go tits up, and bought some $65 2.4/5gigglehurts model that thus far is working fine. One of these days I'll configurate the bitch so 20 gigs of bandwidth aren't chewed up by Crapple pushing iOS updates that I don't fucking want.

But redtube loads fine ;)

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

My R8500 has been pissing me off for a while now, and I can't recommend Netgear anymore because of it. If it loses power, it loses its config. And while I have backups, it's a PITA to re-IP and lay down the config again. It's also a PITA because the link aggregation drops, which means I have to reconfigure the switch and the Wifi AP.

5. :stupid:

I'm currently living in an area that is pretty densely populated. It's drenched in wireless signals. With a consumer-grade router/wireless combo device, my bandwidth would be squeezed down to nothing by my neighbors.

Instead, I'm running a bunch of commercial/industrial-grade gear, similar to Venom. I have two EnGenius WAPs, set up to blanket the airwaves. No one gets wireless bandwidth except me :D

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

More signal is not always the best solution. Consider wireless radio communications like having a conversation in a restaurant. Lots of 2 person conversations taking place. If every one is talking at a reasonable volume then everyone can hear the person at the other side of the table without much effort. However is someone increase their volume to a point that others can no longer hear their own conversation they have no choice but to increase their volume. Before you know it the place is loud and it's very hard to pick out the person across the table from all the background noise created by the other conversations. The only choice at that point would be to go outside to the parking lot. Which would be the equivalent of changing frequencies. There are only 3 channels in the 2.4Ghz spectrum that don't overlap. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are it. Don't bother using any other channels. The 5Ghz spectrum has a multitude of channels with no overlap. If you are in a crowded wireless area then 5Ghz is your best bet however all the equipment involved has to support it. The only other downside to 5Ghz is that the higher frequencies do not penetrate through barriers as well at 2.4Ghz so they tend to drop off quick when you stick walls and metal framing and concrete in their way.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep, well explained sir. :stupid:

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whatever Metalhead is using.

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I sell Ubiquiti and we use their stuff in offices and homes. My office is outfitted with it, my biz partners house is and so is my house.

We love the product and its ROCK solid.

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Apple AirPort. I'm not a super tech guy, but I was sick of routers working like crap. I've had cheapos to expensive Netgear Nighthawks and they're all finicky. I like Apple products so I bought an Airport and haven't had a single issue with it. Spec for spec there are routers that are better but all I wanted was reliability.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've had Linksys and Netgear at the house. Both were easy to set up, and neither was particularly finnicky. The Netgear I have now has been very stable both required the occasional reboot, but it seems like the Linksys required it more often, but not more than once every 60 to 90 days..

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If it's good equipment you should only have to reboot it if you are changing the firmware/software on it or changing the configuration of the equipment. Anything other than that is shit equipment.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...once in a while is more like a fart, not shit for my purposes.

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Good info! But the only thing in this list that the vast majority of home users may have is the ToughSwitch, the rest are for commercial applications. IE - airFiber is generally used for building-to-building links, etc.