Where did you buy your metal building? Are you satisfied?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Jul 15, 2021.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

By virtue of already having done every stupid thing that you have yet to attempt, I am massively overqualified. Plus, I'm not going to give you advice. I'm going to give you orders.

pickled egg and R Acree like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My brother gave up on a metal building for the crematorium support building and they called up the Amish again for a wood building.

Good luck, back log is stupid right now.

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

We are also looking for a steel building builder for a new vet clinic so I'm following this for any suggestions. We really can't get it built soon enough so maybe Dave K's suggestion is the way to go, but we really wanted steel. I have had trouble even getting them to call me back, let alone get a quote or an ETA. We have a much smaller steel structure on order (think carport style) and they gave us a 6 month lead time on that, but they also said it could come at any time so be ready.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Depending on the size of the structure, consider alternative methods. Light gage framing, masonry with light gage trusses, pole buildings.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my understanding is there are only a couple of sources for them. They may be marketed under different names in different States. The bigger units will need a crane to hoist the girders up. Once the slab is cured you could have the building up dried in & insulated no longer than a few days.
    One I looked at today was 120 x 50 and about 30' high at the ridge. Going to be 3 individual business suites and 1 has 2 stories in it.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sources for metal buildings? There are way more than a couple.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

JK, if you’re in PA, Ohio or the other places they cover, Amish wood is the way to go. If you can get them to do the job (they are booked quite a bit). You book them, They come in and get the shit done and done right enough and they leave and the shit is done right (enough).

Warning: make sure you book the “real” Amish and not the gypsie. :(

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

We are looking at around 5000 sq/ft. single story. What that narrow down your recommendation?

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

seems the ones sold aroumd here all use the same engineered drawings./details. At least the red iron framed ones. Happened to look at one on the west coast & a couple on the east. Same fluted sheathing attachment, rollup doors, etc.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Depends on whether the mfr offers custom or nothing but standard sizes. Most probably use the same or similar software to design the structural frames. I've been told that it is the hot rolled play they use to fabricate the frames is the hold up on schedules. Most have similar panel profiles. Some roll their own panels, some buy from places like MBCI. Details are fairly consistent regardless of manufacturer.

My preference is for standing seam roof, not thru fastened, although on smaller sizes it probably doesn't matter. Lead times are pretty much the same across the board.

JK I would seriously consider light gage for that size.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I have plenty of time. My place is in NV, so I'll have to haul my Bobcat and build a road and clear off a pad, get my well dug, and bring in power. So, no water, no building.
    I've seen vids of some guys who build some killer pole barn structures. But those guys are like your Amish folk, eastern USA. I don't think there's any of skill near the NV desert.

I've been playing a little with these cats 3D builder. They seem legit.

https://www.muellerinc.com/buildings

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

14. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

Big bolt together quonset hut. I put up a straight wall 28x46 with 5 of us using scaffolds, ropes and ladders. The first 4 sections are the most sketchy as we almost “timbered”. Ropes stopped the fall from happening. No framework inside. Sprayed insulation and built a 14x20 workshop inside. 10k for leftover building delivered, 10k for poured and finished concrete, 15k to finish out interior. good luck!

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Now that's thrifty. :flag:

16. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Yes. But they only supplied the metal, someone else built it.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Is Menards any good for metal buildings?

Only asking because they're 1/4mile from my shop and looking to do a build.

18. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Last I looked Menard's didn't offer steel frame buildings, just pole barn style buildings.

19. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

jrsamples likes this.
  20. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

The only pole barn type I would recommend is if they do laminated columns. My Cleary building is that way and it keeps wood out of the ground where it will rot eventually.