1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the Diff: CJ360 vs CB360?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by irwnn, Aug 23, 2004.

1. irwnn

irwnn Well-Known Member

friend of family offered up (FREE!) a pristine low mile 77 CJ360T. I've never seen one ... just wondering what i got.

2. rx49

rx49 Active Member

As I recall the CJ360T had a 5 speed while the CB and CL360 had a 6 speed. Other than that I do not recall any real differences. The 360 twin models are a different animal from the CB CL 350 twin with very little parts interchangablilty. The price is right :D :D

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I think you may have it backwards...

4. irwnn

irwnn Well-Known Member

is it V1 legal?

just a thought ... rule book sais any year cb 350 and w/ overbore?

just don't know how different they are.

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: is it V1 legal?

The 350 and 360 are TOTALLY different animals, the 360 is NOT a bored out 350. I don't think the 360 is legal in V1 and I am very certain it is not very competitive (compared to the 350 as the 350 has so much H-perf development and parts available)

6. mike 873

mike 873 Active Member

The V1 rules state cb 360 regardless of year for all intents and purposes that rule should apply to the cj , having a 360 streetbike I can tell you that other than parts such as forks , wheels , gauges , and electrical parst NO other parts will interchange , and as someone else pointed out there is not really alot of hi-po parts for the bike , and the differences for the cj are the 5 speed instead of the 6 speed I think they had a two into one exhaust , the starter was deleted , and they had lower bars making them look more of a cafe style . For the price depending on conditon you could have yourself a cool vintage bike that with a set of avons will embarass newer sportbikes on twisty roads if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me I also have alot of 360 parts if you need any :)

7. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

The 360 was legal to run in V1 and V2... I began my 'career' racing one in '99.

It's performance in stock trim (of course... only the late Hoyt McKagen ever did any R&D with regards to hot-rodding it) is on par with the stock 350. The 360 and 350 are totally different animals. However I think the 360 is a more reliable motor, when comparing stock to stock motors. It has a "real" oil pump, slipper cam chain tensioner, lighter cam with 3 plain bearings, one piece head with valve cover... basically it was designed more like a modern motor than the old style 350.

The CJ had a 5 speed (Robert Johnson raced one before going 2-stroke) and I had a CL with the 6 speed tranny. It was a stone reliable bike to learn how to race on and was a hoot to ride.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  8. irwnn

irwnn Well-Known Member

i love this place

thanks guys :bow:. sounds like maybe i ought to get off my but, finish my XS, and turn the cj into a bike for the wife to race .:D