1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's on your coffee bench today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jedb, May 25, 2023.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

As long as he asked politely, its ok and he didnt take it but . . . due to his position its still rape, isnt it?

I agree. Starbucks taste like burnt mud.

Its my understanding that expresso grounds should be finely ground, drip should be a more course? Am I close?

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I like black coffee from an Aeropress. I've never had a cup of pour over or french press that wasn't either watery or bitter. I think the Aeropress makes a deeper full bodied flavor.

I started with a Cuisinart grinder that lasted for 12 years. After it died, I did some research and it seemed like the Encore Baratza was pretty universally loved as a grinder so I splurged and got it. Honestly, I'm shocked that I notice the difference. I used to complain that some days my coffee would taste bitter or weak, but most importantly, inconsistent. That has all gone away with the new grinder. Every day it tastes the same. It's awesome because now I can make other small adjustments to see how I like them. Before, I felt like I was chasing a moving target.

My recipe:
    2 Aeropress scoops w/small spritz water to keep static down
    Baratza set to 12 grind size
    kettle set to ~200*F
    inverted Aeropress, plunger at the 4 mark, metal filter
    Time = 0 sec: add enough water to cover grounds, light stir, start timer
    Time = 30sec: add more water and stir well, eventually filling to the top-ish, attach filter/strainer
    Time = 90sec: flip aeropress right side up, pull plunger up a little to prevent drippage
    Time = 135sec: plunge for about 30 seconds
    Add a splash of boiling water just to increase temperature (I like coffee super hot)

3. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Stop listening to Rush and the reflux will subside.
    ;)

cha0s#242, pickled egg and Sabre699 like this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just felt the urge to add as a result of recent experiences. I've never really been a Dunkin' fan in general but I do recall people singing their praises throughout the years most loudly was my cousin who was a die hard fan for decades. Anyway, I was flying out of EWR Sunday and grabbed a cup of midnight black.....it was barely lukewarm and tasted like crap. For whatever reason (don't ask me why), when I went grocery shopping after I landed I looked at the coffee aisle and thought to myself, let me try making it myself and see if its the same, so bought a small box of Dunkin' K-cups. Brought it home and tried it and it tasted just as bad, soury background flavor and very little body to it.....I only drink coffee black so I don't mask it with sugar and milk, etc.

For comparison, Newman's Own Organic is my go-to for the K-cup machine both because Costco sells them in bulk and because it actually tastes pretty damn good. Anywho.....I'll never drink Dunkin' coffee again. Anyone want a barely used box of shitty Dunkin' k-cups? :)

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My nephew takes his coffee the DQ way.

This morning he put a handful of M&Ms in it.

Sounds like he’d need two handfuls to counter the sour flavor, and I don’t want him developing diabeetus.

Have you considered emptying them around your property to keep vermin and tax assessors away?

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Been rocking these beans "Noda Nights" from the local joint a few blocks away - always fresh and consistent, plus, she's a friend....

[​IMG]

E-Van likes this.
  7. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

I spy a Brandywine bag there as well. Good stuff!

mastermind likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hot chocolate? lol

Yeah.....I've heard you can add coffee ground to your compost pile for the garden. Usually that's done AFTER brewing, but in this case I'll make an exception.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I presume that La Marzocco is on the roaster shop bench, not your home counter? If so, you got some serious ducats invested in this.

mastermind likes this.
  10. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Bialetti Moka Express

Pilao Tradicional (Brasilian coffee)
    or
    Saquella Gran Gusto (wife found it and likes it)

Milk and sugar.

11. dsapsis

Explains a lot.

12. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

I put maple syrup and butter on my grits too.

13. mastermind

Nope, that's at the house. Got it a couple years ago after selling my old machine of almost 20years......

Rancillo Silvia is in the RV for trackside espressos......

14. dsapsis

I think that qualifies you as a "baller". Most all the best espresso shops sport la marzoccos. I want one, but for now am satisfied with the 19 dollar aero-press. :beer:

mastermind likes this.
  15. mastermind

Finally I get baller status for something!!!

Coffee is very important for me… it keeps me from being the kind of person that would ultimately land in prison.

DaveB and RichB like this.
  16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Espresso maker, scoop of kirkland brand espresso (ground fine), and scoop of "Wake the hell up" Peanut butter chocolate (found on amazon) ground fine for a beautiful blend morning double shot. Also take the espresso maker to the track in the trailer.

mastermind likes this.
  17. mastermind

Oh my…. this sounds fantastic.

I also like to pull a shot over a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  18. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

2/3 cup of Sumatra in french press with cinnamonomon, 24 oz of hot water. 8 minutes and press. A little half and half and Stevia.