1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's on your coffee bench today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jedb, May 25, 2023.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bustelo Nicaragua, pour over.

TLR67 likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

WTF how can a medium roast be extra bold?

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You forget the original non sequitur of coffee ad promos (National Coffee Association, 1982): "picks you up while calming you down'". There is history here. :beer:

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's a misconception. "Bold" has little to do with the roast, it just means more flavor. You can have make a bold light roast by simply using more coffee. I generally prefer bold, so I go with 15:1 water to coffee but some people like 16 or even 17. Not sure what it means in Keurig terms though. Maybe more grounds in the stupid little cup?

I do enjoy certain dark roasts, but in most cases over-roasting is just a way to get consistency out of substandard beans. If a coffee is boring and has no particular flavors, you roast it dark to make it taste like something. Think Starbucks.

I'd encourage you to give some lighter roasts a try. They bring more flavor from the cherries into the coffee. Be careful though because they're also much higher in caffeine.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Not care, gave up on drinking x amount of 12oz cups years ago. Prefer a couple of espressos with their unique flavor profile each day. Illy FTW with less daily pit stops

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

....and my K-cup machine has a "BOLD" button on it. When I looked at the manual it says when you hit the button it just brews longer, so I guess the water steeps through it for more time so it picks up more flavor.

7. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

The same everyday

Attached Files:

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I can't drink coffee anymore because of acid reflux :(

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

My question is, 2 years in, can you taste a difference in the various ways to make coffee? I brought a coffee grinder to see if I could taste the difference. NOPE!

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thoughts on Black Rifle Coffee Brand?

11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

You can achieve very different flavors by altering the roast. Some fairly dark roasts can be very smooth. The very ‘bold flavor’ some seek is really just the beans getting burnt. I believe many coffee companies go with very dark roasts because the quality of their beans is very low (less expensive) and burned coffee all tastes about the same. You have to lighten the roast a little to see the actual flavor of the coffee. Revealing the blueberry flavors of a natural Ethiopian occurs at a much lower temp. A rough number is 415 deg vs. 440+ (this varies by roaster and temp probe placement). Once you get to second crack on the roast, things change quickly and you can go from smooth to burnt in very little time. If the beans are fresh roasted, and oily, that roast is beyond second crack.
    As for changing flavor, you don’t really change flavor with different grinds or brewing techniques, but you can absolutely change intensity. Finer grinds or longer extraction results in more intensity. One caveat, regular blade grinders can create many fine pieces amongst the larger pieces and those fine pieces can result in a bitter brew.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I can tell the difference between an americano made with shots from my espresso machine and my drip coffee maker.
    Between my French Press and my drip coffee maker, not as much.

Usually 1x French press full = 1/2 of Drip Pot coffee = 1x Americano

speedluvn likes this.
  13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

speedluvn likes this.
  14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Got a Cuisinart grinder /coffee maker. Beans and water in the top, coffee in 3-5 minutes. Use the local coffee company’s blend. Easy peasy.

15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Their politics or coffee??

:beer:

speedluvn likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

the story of the owner asking questionable things of his (male) employees?

17. ton

ton Arf!

Pretty much Starbucks quality coffee with a different marketing angle. Substantially over-roasted for my taste.

prm likes this.
  18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

So the founder is a Navy vet :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

NOPE - I can only tell if its strong or weak based on how many scoops to water was used.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Definitely. Can tell the difference between perc and drip, pour over and french press. All of which should be different grinds as well.