1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of grass is this?

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Sep 7, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

thanks for the info....but too late that was over a month ago and since I mowed, most has seemed to go away and grass has taken over again. let's see what happens in the spring

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Like many plants, it has its “season”. It’ll return. ;)

BigBird likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Did someone say Japanese Stilt Grass? :D
    The darker green is near 2' tall. Coyotes have to pop their heads up to see where they're goin'.
    Too late to mow it now. :crackup:
    IMG_1553.JPG

BigBird, Sabre699 and ducnut like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Better than random weeds. A lot of wildlife living in that stuff.

BigBird likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

I actually like it. If it's cut to normal grass heights, it can become a lush, low level canopy of green. It's biggest downfall is shallow roots - not good on sloped properties like mine.

My property's flora changes annually. It all depends on what blows in on the winds. I have Angel's Lace growing like crazy this year. Never really had it before. Other plants I've persecuted mercilessly have yet to reappear. The ferns I want most to thrive are slow to flourish...
    I do absolutely fuckall to help any growth other than clean up deadfall and run the lawn mower when the "grasses" start lookin' shaggy.
    That complete Stilt grass coverage was totally unexpected...I intentionally left it alone. This year has been a shit show of scruffy-lookin' growth. I've run the mower maybe three times.
    Next runnings of the mower will be more to mulch leaves and blow them into the neighbor's yards so I don't have dead spots in my yard come Spring. :D

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

do they help with butterflies or anything? I'm actually ok with it. it kinda looks ok. I see that my neighbor started to get some....He definitely could see where it came from :oops:

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

LOL! No one likes living next to a weed patch.

No. The stuff is like kudzu; not good for anything but spreading everywhere. But, if let go like Freddie has, it provides critters an entire ecosystem under the canopy.

BigBird likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

The stuff is pretty thin beneath the leaves, like thin straw holding up the canopy. Imagine a miniature bamboo jungle.
    Good thing about it, you can count on it to grow where nothing else will. In fact, it will push everything else out.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

As Fred noted, property is on an incline. When we don’t get to leftovers fast enough, I fling them off the back deck, possums gotta eat. One day I guess my hand was slightly wet and the bowl went with the leftovers, tumbling down the embankment. Damnit. Easy to see where it ended up, cut a trail through the canopy. I trudged down and around the deck, got about halfway to the bowl and it dawned on me: “Adrienne, WTF are doing?! There could be snakes in here!!” I panic sprinted back in the house… “Honey…” :)

BigBird likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

There are snakes in there. :Poke:
    :D

BigBird and Yzasserina like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Is that what you say to get some quiet time ? :D

fastfreddie likes this.