1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do in Philly

Discussion in 'General' started by LordMDP, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

I'm going with a few friends to Philly March 16t--be there 3 days

they want to see a flyers game but is there anything else we should check out

I just don't want to to turn into a boring trip

wasn't super excited about leaving Ga right when its getting nice to go up to a crowded cold city-lol but they already got me a plane ticket

2. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Shut up and duck :D
    Cheers, Lee S.

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Do you gamble?

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Paging Lance!!!!

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

You can always go grab a cheese steak from Pat's and Geno's just to say you did it.

Also, Team Promotion will be Thunderbolt running a track day so you could always go check the track out if you've never been there.

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Enjoy the sunshine and visit Paddy's Pub?

7. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Run the Rocky steps and jump up and down like a champ. :D

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Leave.

9. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Bring a bodyguard...

10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

And get good at reloading quickly.

11. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

I was originally going to post the same. lol

12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

There is a lot to do, just depends on your interests. Lots of stuff for history buffs, natural history museum, art museums. For food, it's a great city. Also a ton of great bars, lots of local breweries being served in the gastro pubs. Check out the italian market (below South Street).

I grew up a few hours north, and have a bunch of friends who live in the city. When I go up, it's usually a blur of food and alcohol.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What Elmer said.

15. sowega

sowega #710

They moved the statue; it's over a few hundred yards east of the steps now.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

The Pat and Gino's place is an experience all in itself. Tucked away in a very sterotypical neighborhood straight out of the Wiseguys era. Classic old school Philly :up:

Best restaurants and bars are on Chestnut, Market and 2nd-3rd . Philly has some very good restaurants in the area, second only to NYC.

City Hall is very cool to see, the sidewalks actually go though the building. tons of history around center city area as well as Ritenhouse Square area. Penn's Landing (at the end of Chestnut) is cool, but it'll be rather cold along the river.

If you're young, South street is cool at night, but just watch out crazies. Philly has a very low cop per citizen ratio, and it shows! I wouldn't call these areas dangerous, but more like NYC in the 80s. Homeless, bums, drunks, con men, etc. Just annoying and no cops to move them along.

Lots of people like Manayunk, lots of cool mircobrews and such. Never been there, so i can't comment. It's just Northeast of the city, very nice neighborhood.

Across the Schuykill river, the 30th street train station is a landmark old station, same era as Grand Central. Very cool as well. The University of Penn/Drexel campuses are very nice (called University City) but as you go further West on Market it gets really bad. North Philly is also pretty bad (temple University on up), with some exceptions.

Street parking blows big time, and not all areas are walkable. Subway kind of sucks except for downtown.

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

You mean the Reading Terminal Market?

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Very cool place as well. Giant local market converted from the old train terminal station. I think they've completed the train museum upstairs.

19. Parr

Parr Well-Known Member

A little gritty in places but a great town. The Reading terminal Market for sure (Jack's Down Home Diner for breakfast), a growing Chinatown around the Convention Center, the restaurant Fork at the foot of Market Street, nice art museum, Ranstead Room cocktail bar for good funky old school cocktail vibe (tucked away in an alley and hard to find).

20. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

No, I mean the Italian market. Four block area running south from Christian between along 9th. Reading terminal is fine, but it's all new and clean. The Italian market has been around for over 100 years and is populated with butchers, pasta shops, produce sellers, seafood dealers, and all kinds of weird things.

I like the crustier parts of the city, personally. Fishtown, the market area, etc etc. Standard Tap is a great pub, same for Memphis Tap House.