what size trailer ???????

Discussion in 'General' started by mrgt95, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Hawk0589

Hawk0589 One Armed Bandit

So what about a 7x14 to carry 3 bikes comfortably?
    And I have an '01 Tacoma V6, is it strong enough to carry 'er fully loaded? And bear in mind that I have really big hills to climb in my neighborhood.

2. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I have a 7 x 14 v-nose

gas milage is shitty behind my truck, but it seems to be a happy medium between small and large. Fits 3 bikes and tools comfortably, 4 or 5 bikes and crap crammed in there, as you can see from the 2 bikes in a 5 x 8 above a few posts

HAWK:

brett,

I personally do not think your tacoma would tow that trailer safely and without being hard on the truck. I drive a 2003 chevy z71 and this trailer with two bikes tools and a few other odds and ends is a heck of a load for my truck. You are welcome to come to my house in chelsea and hook it up with your truck and see how it does if you like.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  3. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

I had a 6x14 with my 02 Tacoma V6 TRD and it was scary on the highway at 65. My feeling is a 7x14 is too much for that truck. I just got a 6x10 so I'll see how that is. Did anyone with a Tacoma have to put a trans cooler on? I find it wierd that I would need one if the truck is rated to pull 5000 lbs stock.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's not hard, or too expensive, to put brakes on the trailer. I put them on my 6x10.

5. shift96

I may get a 5x10. Anyone want to trade a 6x10 for a 5x8?

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The truck isn't rated for 5000lbs unless you've got the 'trailer prep kit' which includes the uprated fan and radiator. If you ask Toyota, you'll find it's rated for around 3500lbs without the kit I believe.

7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

6x12, works great. Two bikes up front, two scooters in back. Pleanty of space inbetween for fule, ezups, chairs, coolers, bags, tools, leathers ect. Wouldnt go any smaller unless your using a S-10 sized truck to pull it.

Nick

8. shift96

Thanks, sorry to thread jack. No back to your regulary scheduled program:D

9. adamm07

adamm07 Well-Known Member

+3(?) on brakes with 6x10 or larger w/Tacoma (S-10 ZR-2).

6x10 w/2 bikes and lots of crap + dumbass cuts you off on the Atlanta bypass at 70 = a very tense moment, lots of profanity and warped front rotors.

FYI, I never had handling problems with it though. I tried to balance it so I could still pick up the tongue but it was very heavy. Still I wouldn't go larger than a 6x12 v-nose, which will carry 3 bikes fine. S-10 ZR2 is very heavy and the Tacoma TRD 4wd is probably similar, I'd worry about a 2wd compact truck of any type.

Just my thoughts....

10. ubermoto71

ubermoto71 Well-Known Member

I've towed a 7x14 tandem axle with my Astro AWD 4.3L Vortec V6 (tow rating 5000lbs) and I definitely prefer something a bit smaller, 6x12 V-nose or whatever. I really wouldn't want to get anywhere near max capacity and have to drive it far.

11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I can do 3 in my 6x12.. two up in the front and then the third in back pointed at the gate. The three tails clear eachother fine, just have to put some grip tape on the floor where the rear tires sit so they dont bounce or shift and hit.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

try tying the rear of your bikes down on both sides. It'll solve the bouncing around problem.

13. Hawk0589

Hawk0589 One Armed Bandit

I didnt think it would either, but some guys told me it could. But my uncle has a nice Tundra V8 for sale, it'd be fine right?

14. fbr

fbr Well-Known Member

I have a 6x12. More than enough room for 2 bikes and EVERYTHING else. Don't settle for smaller when you know you can use the extra room.:beer: