1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What options are there for rubberized coatings to use on trailer floor?

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Apr 17, 2022.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm doing some trailer remodeling and thinking of coating my trailer floor with some type of rubberized coating to give it more of a non-slip texture and nicer look than what it is now. What works well for this? Is Flex Seal Liquid Rubber a good idea to use? I gave up on the idea of doing the coin rubber flooring just because it's more time and money that I want to put into it at the moment, so I'm thinking of doing a coating instead.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Truck bed coating like Herculiner.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. sbk1198

I haven't had good experience with Herculiner the last time I used it on wood. Granted, I was doing something smaller so I got the spray cans, I didn't roll/brush it on. Maybe it works better when rolled on, but the cans didn't work well at all.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Go with a good primer than a grey colored floor specific epoxy paint and spread some specifically made floor sand/non slip aggregate into the mix. Way cheaper and IMO just better.

KneeDragger_c69 and sbk1198 like this.
  5. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Rather than coating I had really good luck with indoor/outdoor carpet. Looks good, cheap and easy to replace. As a note I had it last 10 years in a trailer.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I used textured Behr deck paint from Home Depot on my ramp door. Works great and keeps it from being slick when wet. I had already put down vinyl flooring in the trailer or else it would be done with deck paint too. Holds up great and easy to touch up if damaged.

tempestm, G 97 and sbk1198 like this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I did the same, a porch paint with grit in it, worked great. Did the whole trailer with it.

G 97 and sbk1198 like this.
  9. sbk1198

Yeah but that's more of a PITA to clean, and if you spill any fluids on it...good luck. I have a rug in it right now (came with the trailer when I bought it) and it's all stained from various things I've spilled on, and it's a pain to clean off, especially after those rainy weekends when you end up dragging mud and wet grass/gravel on it.

G 97 likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Carpet is a complete no go.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Herculiner, rolled on, or take it to LineX. rolled herculiner on my 7x16 enclosed trailer in 2008, used year round, bikes, sleds, etc... still looks great. if I had to do it over, I would have chosen grey, instead of black.

I did 3 coats, so it is thick. also, prep is the key to a good final product. if you have any, and I mean ANY, fuel, oil etc... on the wood, you wont get a good result. Ski

sbk1198 likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Pony up and just do rubber coin flooring. It will last a lifetime.. doesn’t stain and has grip

Blackbeener, GixxerBlade and dobr24 like this.
  13. sbk1198

What sort of prep work did you do? Just clean the floor really well or did you sand it too? My floor was painted before by previous owner with some generic paint by the looks of it. Do you think Herculiner will adhere to that, or does it have to be bare wood?

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you are unsure...always go back to the base substrate...wood in this case. That way your adhering the new coating to the wood, or a new primer you put down. So any failures wont be of the old unknow coating coming off. Now if the old coating is in good shape and adhering well...you can take a chance and just scuff it.

For new wood I would recommend a primer before apply the roll on liner. You normally want to seal the wood before applying something like that or you can have pinholes and voids from the wood porosity.

And a lighter color is always better in a trailer.

sbk1198 likes this.
  15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I started with a new trailer, no issues, new wood. I would look at the above post from @ChemGuy , for your questions. @TLR67 has a great idea too. Ski

sbk1198 likes this.
  16. sbk1198

Thanks. And yes I agree about the color. I definitely don't want black nor white. So I'll be looking for some type of gray.