1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What killed the 450 super single bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott Swensgard, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Where did they go? Another casualty of bad timing and the economy? Did it ever happen here or abroad? Did they work? School me with the history, and your actual experiences.

Reference link. http://www.450gp.com/EN/index.htm

2. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think it wound up being a combination of initial build cost and maintenance cost. Those engines don't like being wound up for long. I still see them from time to time at trackdays and if I had a donor bike laying around I'd build one in a heartbeat, but I'm not going to start from scratch.

4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Initial cost I think. Why spend that stupid money, when you can get a 300cc now a days. Similar target market Id think.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Paging Geoff Maloney. Wasn't he a big player in the design and fabrication of those bikes? He may know some stuff.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yes, he posts here under GPtech and I recently had the same idea and did some searching. I think I may go this route actually, his experience is that it can actually be made very reliable.

Long thread from a few years ago, search for super singles or Geoff's posts and you will get tons of information.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=268788&highlight=supersingle

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:up:

A quick search turned up $16k as a starting point. If you look at the kits and conversions being sold it could look daunting. There were quite a few who started these projects and never finished them due to the work involved. Big risk to spend that time and money then show up and have nobody to race. It killed itself off.

8. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Maloney is the man!

I've got an F450 in the garage that I'll be posting up for sale once enough snow melts for me to get out there. They are ton of fun to ride, but I made the mistake of buying one to do track days when all my friends were on 600s and thousands.

Too bad I don't have the heart to race anymore. It would be a huge amount of fun in the clubman class. It handles like a GP bike and doesn't motivate too bad either.

9. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

There is a pretty decent supermono race series in Europe although most of them are converted GP bikes there are a few covnerted mx bikes sprinkled in.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Here is what I have been thinking. The $16K price or even the $10K price tag that has been kicked around just prices me out of the game. But, if you look at other ways to go about it, the price starts to fall in line as a doable project. I have seen any number of 450's for $1500, Engine rebuild $500, forks for $300, Reworked stock shock $300, 600 wheels $300, Used bodywork $250, Controls OEM 600 $100. That gets you a basic bike that you can get on the track and upgrade as needed. I have that figured for under $3500. It doesn't have Ohlins or Brembos or Marchesinis or other really cool stuff, but by selective use of craigslist, ebay and the wera classifieds it can be done.

Ken

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You aren't going to buy all the parts to rebuild a 450f for 500$ it's at least 1500$ in my experience.

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Not cost effective compared to buying a race ready SV650. Or 250 or 300, etc.

13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

In 2012 we ran right up front with a very well-built 450GP bike on our $3000 1996 RS125, with no airbox or special parts, except an older Ohlins shock. It was a lot of fun watching close 2t vs. 4t battles, and the 450 rider was excellent.

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The Grom

15. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Mongo

16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I'd say it was Internet experts that killed it. Everyone talking about how the engines would blow up causing a tear in the fabric of space, or some shit.

Forme though, I'd go 125gp route as it is far less expensive and faster. The 450s sounded cool and seemed like they'd be a hoot.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

dr hates is awesome.. I think he had a gptech setup

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It took 15 posts to get this?

Damn, you guys are slacking

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The best was how kids couldn't be expected to race then with out blowing them up, yet the same kids race 2 strokes that will seize long before a 450 will grenade.

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Especially considering GNc 450s would run the Springfield mile WFO the entire race maybe lifting a split second....