What are you guys doing to stay in racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steezlo, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Steezlo

Steezlo Well-Known Member

I am curious, with things taking a bit of a downturn what is everyone who is not fast enough to cover all of their race expenses by winning their expenses back doing to keep racing/riding??? I am thinking about finding a part time job in addition to what I do as a "day job"....

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

What I do is make the races I can as close to home as possible, keep spending to a minimum and enjoy every moment with my friends.

I'm not winning $hit. I go to have a great weekend with my WERA family and dice it up with the other mid-pack slow pokes like myself :up:

3. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Selling autographed pictures of myself.

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

with a $5 bill taped to the back so they actually take it :Poke: :D

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

some have mommy and daddy pay for it......

some have really good paying jobs....................

some might work lots of overtime or a 2nd part time job.........

some use credit cards.........

some who arent fast enough to win might still be able to find sponsors to help them.........

its impossible to really answer that question since there are so many different personal situations in the racing paddock

6. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Ummm... am i the only one who's only seen their expenses change as the price of gas does? That being said, we've got a national average under 3 bucks a gallon...

soooo, i dont do anything different... maybe drink less on weekends?

I dunno, even as a business owner, i dont see things as economically unstable as everyone says? Maybe im floating on an island of ignorant bliss... maybe im retarded (dont answer that)... but i dont see things as all that horrible right now?

im i alone on this one?

7. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Eat ramen noodles.

Seriously, don't spend money on shit you don't need. Work an extra job. I do stuff in my home shop to make some spare $$$. Sacrifice. Work on getting some sponsorhip.

8. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Male gigolo..............................maybe thats why I couldn't afford racing last year:D

9. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Actually $10, but who's counting? :D

10. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Last winter I worked for the post office for 8 weeks as Christmas help. Worked out well cause my race season happens to be 8 weekends. But then a monkeywrench happened. Saw a great deal on a camper and... So I paid for racing by spending absolutly nothing on anything but racing. Oatmeal and rice. Stuff on sale. At the end of the season I was down to nothing. And now another monkeywrench. Saw the bike(tz250) of my dreams and...Well I dumped DirectV and soon the YMCA and I will only be able to enter 2 classes with the new bike instead of 4 with the motard so I figure its for free in a illogical racer mindset sort of way. Anybody need a kidney? As a last resort I might have to get a...Lottery tickets.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I dont race but I do help STT with Coaching... With 2 Kids and a stay at home Mom its been pretty tough but I have learned a few things that help...

1- Take care of the prioritys first.. Tires, Beer ect...
    2- Try to Carpool to the track with someone that can split Gas...
    3- Camp and eat (Cook your own) Quesadilla's at the track

With that said Gas seems to be my biggest factor however I am fortunate to live in Atlanta not that far from the tracks in the SE. We did a Private day up at Putnam the weekend before MotoGP Weekend and Damn each of us spent almost $300 on Gas ...Gas is a huge factor and the prices have been going down thank goodness...

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That would be real nice....

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Carpooling, bringing my own grub and camping at the track have all saved me some good money this year whether racing or coaching. I also don't run rocket fuel so I buy the cheapest premium I can find outside the track :up: Will be following the same program next season.

14. -Ace-

-Ace- Angelus Mortis

With gas prices easing up its actually cheaper to race now compared to this summer, wishful thinking but i hope it stays down

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pick one.

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hitman.

17. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I am one of those where mommy and daddy pay for my school, but I pay for my racing 100%.

I work at a bar 3 nights a week and pull anywhere from $400-$600 a week and it covers racing pretty decent. It works aroudn daytime jobs too so might be a thought. total hours for 3 nights for me end up being about 22 hours a week.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  18. cw195

cw195 Well-Known Member

I second the above, yes we are in an economic "crisis" but peoples everyday spending habits are more emotional, than based in reality. They see their 401K plummit and stop spending but they are making the same take home they did last week so they have the same disposable income.

With that said I really felt the high gas prices over the summer considering I lost my race partner this year so gas more than doubled on me so I tried to stay closer to home this year.

To keep racing you just need to make more money... easier said than done.

19. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I was taught at a very early age to live below your means. Seeing your parents constantly being layed off and on unemployment has a way of doing that.

20. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I quit way back in '04 due to cost I can't imagine racing with todays inflated cost on everything.:eek: I would be in the poor house in no time 2nd or 3rd job it wouldn't matter.