What a surprise...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Clay, Aug 3, 2009.

1. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

You have any sources showing where uninsured people needing heart transplants were refused the treatment?

2. extrabill

extrabill Guest

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

4. extrabill

extrabill Guest

No charitable hospitals do free heart transplants. You can't even get on the transplant list unless you can demonstrate an ability to pay.

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not according to the article you linked. There are clinics that do not turn people away for transplants.

6. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I just skimmed the article, but I didn't see anywhere where he was denied care. Someone not paying and being denied care are two separate things. He could take out a loan, sell property, have fundraisers, try other hospitals to have them do it for free, etc. He simply has not mad the decision to go that route yet. In the UHC systems, people are flat out denied care. They don't have the option to find other means of getting the care. I would much rather live in a system that allows me to make the value judgment than some unelected bureaucrat.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I did a quick search and found that there are charitable organizations that can help too.

Can't find any real numbers to show how big of a problem it is. The US performs approx. 2200 heart transplants per year. The survival rate has gotten fairly good too. The 3-5 year rate is even in the upper 70s percentage. Not too shabby.

When it comes to this transplant thing, I'm asking questions to learn, not argue.

A close friend of the ex and I is considered one of the most successful liver transplant patients in the US. Like extrabill mentioned, the drugs they take are insane. Huge expense. Our friend did not and does not pay for much of her treatment. Her's was financed through grants and charities and was performed in TX. I believe it's a big transplant hospital in Dallas. It's considered the best in the world by many.

I was trying to think of the celebrity that was on the news several years ago about a transplant. They interviewed the Dr. on TV and it was the same one that performed Carol's liver transplant. I thought that was pretty cool. Found it, it was Mickey Mantle.