1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet Beaver

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by WERA854, Jun 22, 2009.

1. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was wet Saturday morning, and the dire forecast kept the turnout very low. I think we had about 6 bikes on track for each vintage race, and not too many more for the Solo 20s. But our dedication was rewarded by the rain stopping at 11:00, and with a strong breeze and patchy sun a dry line appeared for Race 1 with a stream still flowing across T4 at the start.

Race 1: The slick shod V6LW guys decided to sit this one out, but Rich Graver, who had made an emergency repair to his Suzuki, decided to 'check the bike out' a lap after the start and stayed out for the class win after gamely trying to unlap himself. Tommy D pulled away in F2Stroke, but Oldakowski dogged the H2 closely for the V4 win.

Race 4: V5 had a good 3 bike fight between Tommy D, Graver and a fast #41 CB900f (sorry for no name). Several lead swaps 'til the 900 went sour and Tommy eased away again. Oldakowski again in V3.

Race 6: Oldakowski motored to the overall lead at the start and checked out for the F500 win, while Bill Johnson putting the water buffalo front brake to good use snuck inside me at T1 for the 350GP lead. Steve Barber followed closely for a couple of laps until Mike Ewer and Kevin Ayscue came by from V2/F500 (?). BJ opened the door for me coming down the hill from the blind right crest (T7?) and I took off before he could go to school on me...I figured he's learning fast enough without my help. ;) Barber got back by Ayscue who later had a little tip-over in T10 after running off. So who won V2? Was Mitch Bullock in that race?

Race 9: Mitch Bullock, Mike Ewer and Kevin Ayscue lead off in V1 with the same three CB350s following in 350GP. This time I didn't give BJ a shot at me and moved through to tag onto Mitch who was leading on his RD400. Mitch & I had a great race, swapping leads before he took over.

I think all the vintage starters got trophies with the small turnout, but the hard-core still enjoyed fun racing and ultimately pleasant weather.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

A Wet Beaver you say sir?.....okay you have my attention:D OOhhhhhh....you mean it rained at Beaver:p

Yeah, rain has hurt us as well.

Good report tho:up:.....good to hear what happened, and glad you had fun...I aint seen Mike Ewer in awhile, glad to see he's still comin out.

3. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Seems like it has rained every time I have gone to the track this year. Nice write up Eric.

Sure hope it is nice this weekend for Road Atlanta. Any of you Georgia fellers seen the weather yet?

4. WERA854

I saved the best news for last. Another rider on the grid soon. Christian took the school Saturday, looked right at home on Bill Johnson's CB350 and already has his own CB350 to race. :clap:

5. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

National Weather Service for Road A

Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 87.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89.

6. 71Norton

71Norton Well-Known Member

That means it will rain!!!

It's rained every race this year. Tally was a 30% chance of rain and the only place it rained was tally.

I will be getting the main sails and jib tuned up after work today and will split the main brace tommorrow.

Ahoy there maties!!!!

7. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the weather report Jim. That is as good as I have seen this year before going to the races! See you boys Friday. Ill bring my pet Viking.

8. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I'll bring the Dunlops!!:p

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Now thats funny:up:

10. 873mike

873mike Well-Known Member

:beer:
    You failed to mention the largest race of the day , the adult mini pit bike race which there is a link to a cool video in the general section . 19 or 20 bikes and a lemans start . After watching the video I think it was the most watched as well .:D

11. WERA854

You're right. I did mention it on another forum but overlooked it here, even though there were a couple of 'vintage' models out there. Definitely want to have my pit bike too, next time. :up: