1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weekend trip to CO

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

looking for cool stuff to do with the kid, wifey stays at home .

plan is the 6yo (almost 7 by then) and me to fly to Denver for an extended weekend in June.

i want to drive up pikes peak (already looked up cool rental cars), he actually wants to camp in a tent up there , which i don't want to.

i've found the dragon man's war museum east of Colorado Springs, as well as the world's highest pedestrian bridge.

probably going to look into some atv / sxs rentals to ride around a couple of hours too.

what else?

thx

Montoya likes this.
  2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Leave the kid home and you can smoke your weight in pot, listen to Dead and Company and eat free range tofu and lawn clippings burritos.

kangasj likes this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Screw the cool rental car for PP, it’s a 25 zone. Get a Jeep, go to Silverton / Durango and ride the Alpine Loop. THAT is where you wild camp.

Oh, hit Great Sand Dunes on the way.

ducnut, bruceiam, TurboBlew and 3 others like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Last June I road tripped the girls out to Thermopolis, WY. Wyoming dinosaur center. Live dig sites you can sign up to go out to, if the kids is into things extinct and scaly.

Was going to trip out to CO last summer to do camping on the continental divide, but weather was looking sketchy.

Senna, Montoya and Phl218 like this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Why not just come out for the hillclimb? I’ll be there with a buddy of mine slinging beers from about 4 am onward lol.

The Via Ferrata Royal Gorge experience is really cool if you or your son aren’t afraid of heights. Canon City’s downtown is pretty sweet. Stop by The Bean Pedaler.

You can go to IMI and rent some go karts that are supposed to be pretty quick - like 80mph. Down south, it’s SBR in Calhan or Overdrive Raceway for indoors.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago my Dad and I flew out to Colorado and rented motorcycles for a week to tour around free form. We happened on the Bishop castle by chance. Very cool! One of the highlights of the trip.

Montoya, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Drive up to Silverthorn and ride the narrow-gauge steam train. Its an old mining train line that hauled ore out. Uses sidewinder steam pistons iirc.

Buffalo Bill's grave up on Lookout Mountain

Rocky Mountain National Park

Lots of decent/good fly fishing in rivers/streams

Kayaking in downtown Golden, CO on the mini-rapids there.

I don't know if tours of the Air Force Academy are still available (Colorado Springs)

Lots of stuff to do in the area for all ages.

Pike's Peak may be below freezing at the top.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Montoya, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Kid loves G-wagons, so do i.
    It will have to be, for the insta :D

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah, tell metalhead that. :D

i wanna make memories and not forget them before i even made them

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

IMO 7 is a tough age to entertain...

From Denver, a weekend be awfully short.

Denver is not an area that I ever go to, but if you go to Pike's Peak:

Be sure to get lots of those donuts at the top.

Then, you can head west to hwy 24 N to Ava Mtn. ziplines. Then go back south on 24 to Buena Vista and turn west (Cottonwood Pass) for the Tin Cup loop. Eat in Tin Cup or Pitkin. Mirror Lake near Tin Cup. There are places to camp along the way, if you like. Very scenic ride especially at Cumberland Pass, there will be snow there. Dumps you out on US50 at Parlin.

Cumberland Pass
    [​IMG]

beac83, Phl218 and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You have the best pics, dude.

cBJr likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

well, he is excited about the hotel pool, the g-wagon and already said he does not want to go on top of a tall building (high riser)

but an ATV thingy tour (2-4 h) , some zip lining, maybe a movie in the evening and ice cream will already make it epic for him.

TurboBlew, bullockcm and beac83 like this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Driving up PP was fun when it was still a dirt road back in 1989. I almost sent my rental Lezbaru over the edge in a few corners, pretending I was Bobby Unser. Great memories.

Phl218 and Senna like this.
  16. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Check with both the ATV and Zipline place before mentioning it to the kiddo. I’ve yet to find a place that will rent ATVs to take my 8 year olds out. Of the bazillion zip line parks near me, only one was decent and would accommodate their age/weight when I took them.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Just sounds like an awesome time with your kid. Good for you!

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I could be talked into those things really easy if you ask nice...lol

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Phl218 likes this.
  20. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

If you stay in Denver, stay at Hotel Monaco

https://www.monaco-denver.com

Been over 20 years since I stayed there, food was great, all of downtown at your fingertips, etc..