Wanting to get in to racing....

Discussion in 'General' started by dogdoc, Sep 21, 2009.

1. dogdoc

dogdoc Member

Hey-

Just thought I would post a message to see if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to get into the sport. I have been riding for the last 8 years (YZF 600 to R1 to Rocket III to ???? maybe R6)- I have always wanted to get into racing, but have been very caught up with work etc- also, I do not have any friends that are into racing... so I don't have any idea as to 1- what I am getting in to, 2- where to start, 3- what to expect.
    I was going to start with a racing school like Ed Bergy.... First- I need to get a track bike- I was having some difficulty deciding between a 2004 GSXR 750- that has a ton of mods and great shocks (according to the guys at the bike shop) and going with a lightly salvaged R6 or GSXR 600- and completing the race conversion myself or with the help of a local shop. I rode the GSXR the other day--- very nice- but I would imagine that it might not be the best idea to start out on something like that--- and that going with something more stock....(and newer) would be better--- that way, I can at least get to the point where I can know what I want to buy and why, based on feedback from track days.

In any case- any thoughts or help would be much appreciated... as far as my mechanical aptitude- I did not grow up in a "gear head" family... so my experience is limited, but I enjoy it.... so it will be a learning process.

Mat

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

As far as bike, none of the above, get a SV650

3. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

4. Any of the bikes you mentioned are ok to start on. I would suggest the 600. Just put some race body work on it, saftey wire it. Put stainless steel brake lines on it, good brake pads, a steering damper, and some race or track day tires, and you will be ok to start out. I have not taken the Ed Bargey school, but I think it is probably a good school to start with.

5. dogdoc

dogdoc Member

Great-

Thanks for your response... I appreciate it. Is there a good reason to go with the a GSXR over the R6? Not ignoring the SV650... I appreciate them, however did not like riding the last one I was on... RIght now... I do not have a street bike (which is not ok with me... ) What do you think about going with a street legal bike, and then making the modifications for the track (covering the lights, loosing the mirrors etc.) so that I can convert it bak after the school? That would save me from getting 2 bikes? any thought about that?

Thanks

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Don't race a bike you aren't willing to set on fire and walk away from.

7. Either bike will be fine to start on. I believe you can just make the minor mods you are talking about as far as the school (check Ed Bargy's site for exact details), but to race it you will have to do a lot more. Using the same bike for racing and street use is somewhat time consuming. The required mods for racing are listed in the rulebook on www.wera.com.

2fer is being a bit dramatic, but still there is alot of truth in what he says. A race bike can easily be totaled at any time.

8. Italiantwin04

Italiantwin04 Well-Known Member

:stupid: Because sometimes that is actually what happens. At least the catching on fire part.

9. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

The 600 should be fine but on a budget an SV650 is a better starting point. You should be able to find a good SV650 2nd Gen race bike for $2,500 to $3,000. At that point it's fuel and tires for the season (unless you crash allot). For what you would put into crashed 600cc street bike to make it a race bike (Race bodywork, pegs, bars, powercomander, pipe, etc) you are almost to the full price of the SV650 race bike.... Just a thought.

10. 1twenty2

1twenty2 WERA #122

Ed Bargy

He's the man! You'll learn a lot and he tells it like it is. Get a bike, make it safe, take the class.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I've just got in to racing myself. I've been doing track days for 5-6 years though and have taken a number of classes. I've done track days with a few different organizations and each of them always has control riders that are always willing to help newbies.

Even after riding years of track days, I still find myself revewing Twist of the Wrist II which I bought long ago.

I've been riding bikes since the early 80s, but only track days for the last ~6 years. I've ridden a number of bikes but my first track bike was a Honda Hawk GT. It's been a blast to ride and I've learned a lot riding it. I always knew the bike had the potential to get me in a world of trouble but at the same time, it is more forgiving than much higher HP bikes. The bike is 19 years old now and I've done a refresh on it and spent a load on the suspension as I personally thought that was the best investment for it.

I took the Learning Curves class a few weeks ago, passed the class and am hoping the weather permits my first race weekend to happen this coming weekend.

I've got all the proper safety gear, leathers, gloves, etc... Along with a huge respect for gravity. Unfortunately I have had a couple of spills on the track and one that snapped my wrist.

Without knowing more about your background it's hard to say for sure what it will take for you to get more in to this. What I will say is start off with some track days. Take your time learning what you need to do. Body position, smooth throttle, braking, entry/apex/exit points, blah blah blah. :)

I have a history with adrenaline based sports and railing through a corner is one of the most exhilarating things I've done. I tend to think its going to get even more so in a competitive situation.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  12. dogdoc

dogdoc Member

OK-

Thanks everyone..... I'll keep you posted- I'm signed up for the Oct 24th class in Fl.... I'll get the bike settled soon....

13. Without a doubt, it will!

14. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

Get a bike, do some track days, take a race school class, set down the cranberry juice, and go racing! Don't make it difficult!:up:

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Dogdoc there are a ton of racers in Ga, i`m sure a few are close to you. Buy cold beer and bribe them for assistance getting started. Yuengling is the Official beer/lager of WERA. Welcome to the jungle!

16. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Yip, but consider the SV heavily. It makes the process much less expensive and teaches you a lot about corner speed and how to maintain it.

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Pick up something cheap. a race prepped bike will be much cheaper than prepping it yourself. I started road racing in Feb this yea and its the most fun I have had in a long time man. More fun than Motox and Kart racing. I started road racing on a 92" CBR600. I'm a completely stock 05 GSXR600 now.

18. dogdoc

dogdoc Member

Great.... If you know anyone in the Athens GA area that likes Beer, let me know....:)
    Not trying to make it difficult- just don't want to go into anything blind--Thanks for all your help....

Later-

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Dogdoc, if you're wanting to talk about getting into racing and getting advice from folks about which bike, what to do to that bike, etc., why don't you drive down to Jennings this weekend and hang out? It's an open trackday weekend and there will be folks there from Friday to Monday (some racers included, for sure.) For the $5.00 gate fee, you can hang out and BS and watch some action on the track. Everyone's friendly and willing to give advice freely. Some of it may actually be worth listening to. I'll be there... ask around for Dits. I can probably help you out somewhat.

I like the SV idea too BTW.

20. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

No doubt that an SV at most is the right idea. Heck, I started with a gs500 and then went to an SV and would NEVER take my time on the gs back. If you want to learn to be safe and do it right, I recommend starting small and working you way up. Just my 2 cents.