1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Union mentality... I'll never understand it

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Do you think the CEO dictates their own salary/compensation?

What right does a rank and file employee have to judge what a CEO makes?

2. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Yep. You know who decides CEO salary? The board of directors of that company. You know who's on it. CEO's of other companies. Often times CEO's sit on each others boards. Pretty incestuous huh? You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

As for judging what your CEO makes. You have every right when you are negotiating your salary. They don't have to accept it.

- Joe

3. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Oh really? Most of your paid fire departments are the same union, The I.A.F.F.

So myself and the entire state of NJ personally sent away all non-union employees?

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't know it was a competition in natural disasters.

Your a really nice person.

Good luck with all of that anger.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Joe, you seem to have an incredible knowledge of the CEO title position, what's stopping YOU from doing one of two things, 1) become one and/or 2) start your own business using YOUR own assets, then employ all the people you want and pay them greater than elsewhere......in other words walk your talk.

In all honesty, I think a lot of people are fed up with listening to those who wanna dictate how company's run their business and pay their management/employees. If you think it's easy to put YOUR assets at risk to run a company, have at it.

I've been saying it for a long ass time, don't bite the hand that feeds you. Ultimately, demand and quality employees (or there lack of) will dictate salaries, it sure as hell shouldn't be the unions. They were absolutely part of the problem in Detroit and the reason why we've lost so much work to Canada, Mexico, Brazil and China now.

It's so easy to gripe about others....isn't it?

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Working on it. I am currently management and working my way up. I fear that I may be hard pressed to advance if I keep expressing my pro worker (non-union at our place) feelings. I come from the engineering (logical) side. As I advance I deal more with the guys rising from the financial (greed) side.

As for using MY assets I think you are confused. If you read my earlier posts you will see I am referring to publicly traded companies. How many of those CEO's risked their money? NONE! Private companies where the CEO is the owner are a whole different story, but oddly there are far fewer stories of greed there.

BTW it is easy to gripe if the truth makes it so

Anyway. I'm done for the night here. I'm going out with my other management friends to drink some 30 year old scotch and smoke cigars. We'll probably not tip the waitress because she's just lazy and too stupid to become a CEO. She can get by on $2.50 an hour and should enjoy the privilege of waiting on us. We were going to deduct our bill as a business expense but that would be stupid. We'll just use the company card and expense it

Go trickle down economics!

- Joe

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Right, well you certainly keep telling us that so it must be so. While it's fresh in my mind, how much firsthand experience do YOU have inside those boardroom meeting?

Since you've been talking a lot of game in here, when you have the chance I'd love to hear how much (approx) more you're being paid for your management position compared to the average person who's not in management at your place of business?

If it's more than say $10K annually, can you give us an explanation why you deserve that income more so than those non management folks? Do you work harder?
    Have you volunteered to take a pay cut ONLY to allow those additional monies to be redistributed to the others making less? If not, why not? Who cares what your CEO is making! Lead by example right?

So, just for clarification, your disdain is ONLY for publicly traded companies?

Did Bill Gates deserve his income and/or net worth or is he evil too?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

In the field I have never seen a decent Union worker. I had to go to Wisconsin and help out one of our sister companies. The metal workers there had went on strike. Times were tough and a lot were laid off. Union man tells me they make more on strike then unemployment so that's why they went on strike.

Me and my guy go intsall a metal job. Finish it in three days. The company paid us for the full week. Told us the union metal guys couldn't produce what we did in a full month.

The union guys cut wiring and messed up the forming machines before leaving on strike. I fixed them all.

My company hired a new Project manager last year . This guy then hires 10 of his ex workers who were union with him . I was promoted to supervisor and in less then one year fire everyone of their sorry asses .

Sad when a man tries to pt 10 hours on his time sheet for 20' of metal install and my non union guys install 300' + a day on the same job

So ya I hate unions. I have never met union man that wasn't an utter POS . I make less money then union workers , but at least I earn my paycheck instead of expecting it for free like welfare leaches .

8. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

Oh and n another note. When the last hurricane hit west Florida. My company put together a volunteer team. Almost every worker helped. We went to every house possible and tarped every damaged roof we found . I spent every weekend down there for awhile helping people.

Guess what our company charged these people??? Nothing.
    Guess what me and my guys got paid ? ...... Nothing

We don't even do residential work , This is what normal people do when a disaster hits.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Keep on fleecing the taxpayers while you can. Things are changing.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Plenty of union crews on the way or already there to do the work. This is a BS political/news story with an agenda. People without power will not be affected.

Kinda bummed you guys are reading so much into this.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Lol. Plenty....

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Why would anyone in their right mind care if the crews where union crews or not. Oh that's right unions would. Why is that? only goes to once again reinforce that unions put themselfs first at the expense of everyone else.

But as long as the unions get theirs, everything is justified. :rolleyes:

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

14. FED34FIRE

Romney? Is that you?

If you did some research you would find out that this never happened. The crew never made it too NJ. They never made it past Virgina staging. It was started as a rumor by Fox News.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Then why are millions of peeps not expected to get electric back for another week or two if there are plenty of crews? And if there are plenty of union crews it would seem they need to cut back after the disaster work is over.

Oh yeah, union lines? Really? Last time i checked those are company lines paid for by cutomers and in some case paid by tax payers. Union lines? You just hit on the problem.

16. FED34FIRE

Another thing. I'm a DoD Firefighter. We can't negotiate our pay. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nope, just an individual taxpayer that is fed up with public sector unions fleecing me blind for their own individual gain. If you did some research you would see taxpayers waking up all accross the county and realizing that they are being taken to the wood shed financially by public sector unions. But it is changing one vote at a time. :clap:

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Why do you have your panties all in a wad then. :crackup:

19. FED34FIRE

What a dolt.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

ive said it before, some of the shadiest crap ive seen on job sites were the result of union guys being tools. and some of the most fantastic work ive ever seen have been the results of union guys. less the later though. there are good and bad in every trade. but unions seem to breed laziness and a penchant for "the time suck".

i was on a site last year and the lead electrician who was a shop foreman spent all day watching the plaza below for people carrying anything related to an electricians job. carrying cable, wearing a belt, carrying a ladder with "joes electrical" on it. he spent tons of time just watching other people to make sure they werent doing an electricians job and if it looked like they were, hed run out of the site and chase down who ever it was to check. doing that, but not actually doing his job! it was stupid.

i also had an iron worker tell me once that when the battery powered drills were first coming out, the ibew tried to get them banned from sale in the usa. because it meant they didnt have to be on site to pull power for work to begin. the same guy also told me that when they installed a gigantic pane of glass on a job site we were at, that the glazers union tried to prohibit the use of the robotic arm that can pick up huge pieces of glass and install them. because "it took thier jobs away". and he stood there and complained about how it took one guy to pick up a piece of 1" thick glass, 8'x20' long, and install it into its position. its bs.

one of the gc's i sub for who works in nyc says he has to bill at 150 per man hour. and add 30-50% hours when he uses union labor vs using us. of course that charge goes right to the client. and most of the money goes to the hall and not the guys on site.

what sucks in nyc is how everything closes on the weekend. if you want anything for the trades, you better have it on fri. because once 4 pm hits, you cant get anything til 7 monday morning.