1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TZ750 Yamaha for sale

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by ductune, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

After owning this bike for for over 30 years it's time to let it go to someone that might actually use it.

1974 TZ750A with "D" top end.

This bike comes with a Michigan title so If you add street gear.......:D

The tires are old and hard and it's missing the rear brake pedal link.
    Other than that it's ready to ride but certainly not race ready.

15 years ago I decided to return it to the way it was when lasted raced. I reinspected the engine and everything is still in spec since last rebuild.
    It has around 1,500 street miles on it (with air filters).
    I removed the street gear, powder coated the frame and had everything repainted.
    Other than start ups just for giggles, it has not been ridden farther than the end of my driveway since. Always properly stored in my climate controlled shop.

These videos will explain some of the details of the bike. the first was recorded yesterday and explains the changes from stock and a short start up. The second video is from 5 years ago and shows more run time (it was raining).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPyEG0dk80
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r11YOKygc2o

Hope to sell it to someone that will at least do parade laps with it so I'm listing it here first.

Will put it on Ebay if no interest here.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:wow:OMG!!! I would totally race that beauty!!!! Even though wadding up yamahas is what i do,i would still give'r a go:D Please put me out of my misery and give a rough asking price at least

3. ductune

Well, A similar bike sold on Ebay for 30K a few months ago. It wasn't as nice as mine and I was a little surprised it sold for that.
    That's a sample size of one so I don't have a good measure of current value.

Make me an offer. You know you want it.
    :D

4. britx303

Oh you are dag gone right I want it!!! But I would only be tire kicking,to be straight forward with you. Im scrounging for the Manx next year,so I must refrain. You have a serious beauty there,Sir.

5. OldNSlo2

OldNSlo2 New Member

Those things were insane!
    Beautiful bike, good luck with sale.

6. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

Holy jezzus......

7. TZ750D

TZ750D Member

Wow - that is an unbelievably original TZ750A. I raced TZ750C and TZ750D's in the UK and Manx Grand Prix in the late 1970's. Awesome bikes. Amazing to see the rubber caps on the forks - I didn't know they even came with those... Though I vaguely remember the rubber straps with hooks supporting the carbs.

A couple of photos of my bikes attached. The blue one is a well worn TZ750C from 1979 in the UK, and the other bike is a TZ750D at the Isle of Man. I raced them against some famous names like Carl Fogarty, Joey Dunlop, Robert Dunlop, Ron Haslam. Both were owned by the guy that sponsored me. I think he sold them for about $5K each. Who knew they would be worth so much now...

Sorry to hijack the thread - GLWS!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  8. ductune

Racing the Manx GP on a TZ750!!

That is something I can only wish I had experienced.
    :up:

9. ductune

A few pictures.

Attached Files:

10. ductune

Correction to the ad, The bike has a "C" cylinders and pistons not "D" model.
    Same bore but likely different porting.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm in line boarding a flight in Minneapolis on the way home. I couldn't hear the video when trying to watch it here, will look at it when I get home. Do you still have bodywork? Do you still have the street stuff?

12. ductune

Yes the body work is included and can be seen towards the end of one of the videos. The street gear was nothing more than a 6 volt battery under the tail section wired to a brake switch for the rear brake only. A side stand that was welded on, now removed and a mirror. A headlight was not needed in Michigan at the time as long as you only rode in daylight hours. Turn signals were not needed as the bike didn't come with them.

I didn't do anything to the stator to include a lighting coil, just did total loss for the battery for the brake light.

13. ductune

Sale pending

Donation to WERA for hosting the ad.:D

14. Boman Forklift

Dang, but I guess the good thing is I didn't waste a favor trying to get mama approval.

:up: On the WERA donation. I hope to be adding to WERA's donation coffers when some of my stuff sells.

15. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

16. TZ750D

TZ750D Member

Joey Dunlop lapped the TT at 110mph in 1977 in a bike fairly similar to this - same engine but a Seeley twin shock frame.

http://www.pineharbour.co.nz/joey-dunlops-rea-yamaha-1977-750cc

But the TT course was very tough on 2 stroke race engines. Starting with a rebuilt crank and new top end on a TZ motor, the engine will be pretty much shot after 6 laps of the TT. I have had both a broken crank on a TZ750 and a barrel seize solid in races at the MGP (didn't have enough money and tried to get too many laps out of an engine)

17. ductune

Well the sale is complete. A member here on the WERA forum just picked it up. Stand up guy and his dad. They will be riding it to events in the Vegas area. We took turns push starting it in my driveway at 8:30 in the morning.
    Last week my neighbor was complaining about the birds waking him up.
    Not sure but I think all the birds are gone now.

:D

Four open expansion chambers, straight cut gears and a dry clutch.
    I like my peace and quiet but that sound always made me smile.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  18. britx303

19. britx303

:up::up::up::up:

20. Boman Forklift

Congrats on the sale, and double congrats to the new owner and his dad. Maybe I will luck out and see it in Vegas.