1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota 3.5 V6

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I pick up the new car on Wednesday.

2015 IS350 F-sport.

...there’s a girl i’m kind of trying to impress. (She doesn’t actually care about my car)

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I left work at the same time as one of those. I like it, a lot. Would like to hear your impressions on it after you put in some miles.

FYI, I'm talking about the car... :D

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If it is the same 3.5L V6 as the Sienna, I put 237,000 miles on mine before I traded it on a 2015. The engine was stone cold reliable. The only issues I has were corroding battery cables, which seems to be relatively common on Toyotas, and there was a oil hose on the front of the engine that failed (apparently not uncommon). IIRC, mine was timing chain, not belt so that was not an issue.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:rolleyes: See the divorce thread to remind you. :Poke: A life time of hookers & blow is far cheaper. :rock:

rk97 likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The beeb wants to know after he's put some miles on the woman. :beer:

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Better buy some rear tires, it chews the shit out of them every 25k due to rear camber.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Well, that's why we have other threads. I'm hoping this one stays on track(ish) and the other ones can benefit from significant derailment for my entertainment. I enjoy living vicariously as much as all y'all here, but I'm hoping to not mix subjects too much.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Not enough adjustment? No option to put offset camber bolts in there?

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Dunno, stock specs will wear tires on the inner shoulder bad though. We just put tires on a customer's car, tires looked ok, inner shoulder down to steel belt. The camber helps with performance though, tires are also high traction low life tires. We could only find Michelins to fit it when we did his not more than a few weeks ago. There might be more but we had a tough time finding tires. Probably Google it, will give you pictures. We don't do alignments so we didn't go too deep into it with changing from stock, don't know if the shop would deviate due to recourse of an accident etc..

10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yep. Loved our IS350. That car was fun and it held its own on the track at CMP.

Ironically, that helped even the tire wear.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's a nice car, handles well. Slow, and the back seat is super cramped. Interior is really top notch, entertainment UI is terrible.

and well the answer in these situations is always Minivan, then GTI if want a car, but congrats on the new ride. Should be a problem-free ownership :)

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Slow? Compared to what?

It’s going to be a rocket ship after driving a corolla for 6 years!

I know the back seat is small. My kids will adjust. Gotta protect the leather from their feet, but i have some thoughts.

Tires are band new, so not wear issues for a bit. I can live with cheaper rubber.

Girl “mileage” is tbd. I’m happy for now. Much like the car, i’m Sure tires and premium fuel are painful, but you don’t much care when you bury the accelerator. She’s been making it worth while so far, but if it doesn’t last, i’m No worse off.

BigBird likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I would think the 3.5 would work well in a car, but they never should have used it in the Tacoma. I’d have hated it less if not for the engine.

Bloodhound and 969 like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

I guess slow is relative, not everything can have minivan power

R Acree likes this.
  15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I consider 5.5 to 60 pretty quick for a sedan. Plus it’s got a good torque curve.

I opted for AWD because i could, and because the RWD models have summer tires and i believe bigger rims.

In any case, it will be “fast” enough for daily driver duties.

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I’m actually curious if this 3.5 and the Camry/sienna 3.5 share a block.

In Lexus IS and GS tune, it makes 306hp. In ES and Camry tune, it makes 278 or something. Different cam profiles? Premium gas doesn’t add 30hp...

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

It works really well in my Taco....but I row my own too.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good point. The auto is probably the weak link. It hunts constantly under any load.

It would probably be awesome with a 10 speed auto.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is a 2GR, they are the same internally typically. Intake, exhaust and programming is where all the difference is.
    Run it on 87 and it will lose power and fuel mileage. They like the good stuff.

20. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

IIRC, There was an update for the 16’s and early 17’s to address the hunting complaints.

JBraun likes this.