1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Pilot Or Not To Pilot

Discussion in 'General' started by KevMac, Nov 9, 2003.

1. KevMac

KevMac Well-Known Member

Greg,
    If you want to pursue a career as a pilot, now might be just the time to be getting started. JETROMCB is absolutely right (in my opinion)about the up and down nature of the industry. It's not easy at first. Many just give up and do other things. The rewards of a long career flying go to the people who stick it out.
    I love it. I only work about 11-14 days a month. And I can always schedule the race weekends off. Even my buddy from another airline with little seniority, can always seem to get the time for race weekends. It's like any job, somedays are awesome, some are more like work. Regardless of the day I'm having the view can't be beat. The pay does vary greatly. Some are more comfortable than others. If you are happy and fulfilled with your career choices, compensation will take care of itself.
    Look into it, it just may be the right fit for you. I could'nt even count how many poeple I've met who regret not finishing,or never going after there dreams. Talk to people who know what they are talking about before making up your mind. Everyone who has ever flown an airplane suddenly becomes an expert.
    Good luck, Kevin #229

2. dave333

dave333 traveler

Where do I join up?

3. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Sign up now so that in 4 years (or so) you should be back in the peak hiring season. HOWEVER, don't forget that by 2050 there will be no pilots on board, just computers. (hopefully not running Windows2050). They figure it will take that long to convince the flying public to fly on planes without pilots.
    Check in to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and be prepared for a $120,000 cost to fly and get your degree. You will still only come out with about 350 hours unless you flight instruct there and build time. My son just graduated and job prospects are mighty slim. He has a part time job flying charters, but now is not the time to be looking, but it IS the time to be planning. Good Luck. Sounds like there are a lot of pilots on this BBS........ interesting, isn't it? My wife says we're adrenaline freaks. Could be!