1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire machine question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by oneslowzx6r, Mar 23, 2003.

1. oneslowzx6r

oneslowzx6r Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to buy the adapters to convert a car tire-changing machine to a motorcycle tire-changing machine?
    I am looking for the adapters that bolt right on to the clamps.

2. Don Nees

Don Nees Well-Known Member

3. skillets

skillets Gunnin' for terrance

www.harbourfreight.com Look for tire changer in shop tools then click on it and you will see towards the bottom the adaptor for motorcycles

4. jethromcb

jethromcb Goldmember

Are these manual machines easy enough to use? I have always had the vendor change the tire for me. It would be cool to have the machine for $80 to do this at home.

5. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

nah, you don't need those. What ya need is two long screwdrivers, a girlfriend, a couple pieces on lengths of hose and about 1 hour. I saved me $20 yesterday. It was the piggest PITA that I have ever done, but I refuse to pay $20 to get a tire mounted....

6. skillets

skillets Gunnin' for terrance

Buy the machine they work great. Then you will need a static balancer i have a buddy who is making them for 50 dollars shipped then you can change tires all day long

7. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

At the Auto shop I work at, we have a Coats rim clamp tire machine, and it works on 17 inch cycle wheels fine. I think it will do up to 19". to balance them I use a long bar and 2 jackstands.

8. wahaut79

wahaut79 Well-Known Member

i have the harbor freight changer and MC tire adapter, and i love it. i've changed several sets of motorcycle tires and a set of car tires on it, and i've got bike tires down to a science...

takes about 3 minutes to get them off the rim and about 5 to get them back on...

quick, easy, and it cost me $50 (on sale) at the local store....

i HIGHLY recommend one, if you think you'll be changing tires more than once or twice a year...it paid for itself with the first tire change and has probably saved me several hundred dollars already.

hell, go in with a few riding buddies and it'll cost less than a single tire change and you can always have it available, rather than waiting on the shop...

/$0.02

9. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

I have a Harbor Freight MC tire changer adapter thing that I don't need.If anyone wants it $30 plus shipping takes it away.It is brand new.You will need the auto tire changer as thiis is an adapter that fits on it.

10. jethromcb

jethromcb Goldmember

I think they are charging $30 including shipping. I just got both parts delivered for $80. The whole setup. FWIW

11. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Changing your own tires is definitely the way to go! Marrietta Motorsports is probably the cheapest place in ATL for tire changes, and they still charge $50 to change a set. That adds up over the course of a year! Best money I ever invested!