1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new MTB

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, May 6, 2017.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Look at the Giant Anthem SX, i can climb descend and bomb alot of stuff

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

$8000 in bikes on a $8000 car..

[​IMG]

throwdown, TurboBlew and dtalbott like this.
  3. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

I definitely understand what you're saying about the spark being 100% xc, but I will say that the new design is night and day when it comes to gnarly descents. I did the Swank 65 in Pisgah the week after I got that bike and it was awesome. I'm actually racing the Pisgah 111k in 2 weeks mainly because Pisgah is the best place I've ridden yet! It's long gravel climbs with gnarly single track descents.

I'd like to try a few enduro events at some point but right now I'm trying to stay focused on some of the NUE races in preparation for the Breck Epic in August.

4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

It's pretty amazing you can buy a top of the line dirtbike for 10k when you think about how expensive some of these bikes are. I just bought my first real mountain bike. A trek mamba. Got it for 400 bucks off eBay but it's like brand new. Just need a new chain. Pretty stoked with that. By far the nicest peddle bike I've ever owned. But while that's a awesome bike it's on another scale with the top of the line bikes.

rk97 likes this.
  5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I LOVE my specialized Enduro 650b. I think I got mine new the first year the 27.5 model hit and was around 3k. The newer models have 1x11 and dropper post from the factory (which I added). It's more of an Enduro than cross country, but it's s fun bike.

6. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

So I was really leaning towards another Anthem sx. I had a 2012 and it was a pretty awesome rig but never hit any big jumps on it, maybe 2-3 feet of air at best. Sold that and bought a Trance sx but messed up and got a large frame and really needed a medium. Crazy how much frame size can change the feel of a bike. Anyway, everyone tells me the Anthem isn't slack enough and I need something in the 140mm range on suspension. Part of the problem is no one can really define what type/travel length of suspension will handle what. Lots of local bike shops but it seems like many can only spew Gianttrekcannondalekhs company line on bikes. Trying to figure out suspension is another mess...get RockShock Pike...yeah well there are at least 3 levels of that fork and then another 5 different models in addition to the Pike.

I have been looking at some used stuff and researching a bunch. From what I can tell I am probably pretty solidly in the trail category with a slight lean to all mountain. A lot of the enduros/all mountain seem to get less favorable ratings on the climb vs the trail bikes.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Ok, if Broome bought a MTB, what would he get?

Or does he already have it?

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My first thought was one of the Cannondale Black Inc bikes. Then I thought about the fork. Maybe the Felt Virtue FRD? Polygon Square one kinda has a motorcycle swingarm look to it.

9. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

It really depends on what kind of riding you are doing. As far as a form if you have certain ones you can remove shims in them to get more travel. My fox 34 is the 130 from the factory but I can remove shims and make it a 140mm fork. I know some of the rock shox are the same way. You may be able to get more out of it without having to upgrade.
    The pikes are in order. pikerc, pikerc3, and my17. The my 17 is supposed to be the latest and greatest. A friend has the rc3 and it's pretty dam amazing over anything I have ridden. It has better feel and seems to adjust like a ohlins 25mm over a ohlins 20mm.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was in a local shop the other day... there was $50,000 worth of road & cross bikes in the mechanics area. 3 on the stands and 2 just leaned up against the counter plugged into the wall...lol

11. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I have the Pikerc on my enduro. It's a 160mm version, but it's a great fork. My buddy has the rc3 and it's aso really good, but I'm not really sure it's that much better than the rc. If you twiddle the knobs a lot, it might be, but otherwise the rc is probably plenty.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

13. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

14. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I've been itching for a hard tail and also a fat tire bike for up here in our beautiful Connecticut weather and I just saw and ordered a new MTB. I'm going for a Specialized Fuse which uses the 27.5 plus tires at 3" wide, hard tail, 5" fork, dropper post and hydraulic disc brakes. The bike shop is building it up so I can pick it up this week some time. Looking forward to some muck riding on this thing.

rk97 likes this.
  15. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Out in Asheville today riding Bent Creek

[​IMG]

inpayne and TurboBlew like this.
  16. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

I like your priorities

GrayGhost likes this.
  17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

To me? Nothing.

I won't spend a thousand on any bike, and I don't need full suspension.

I'm not riding anything that someone else hasn't ridden faster on a rigid 26er from the mid 90's... if I lived in Moab or Colorado, I might feel differently, but I am not going to utilize a $3k bike any better than a $1k bike.

With that said, suspension makes things more comfortable for riders with injuries, etc. and extends some riders' "careers."

I'm just not prepared to buy an easier ride when hard work and fitness are free.

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've got a Cannondale trail 4 29r that I've got set up pretty nice. Got the gearing all dialed in and shifting smooth, dropper post, onboard computer so I can watch netflix, new tires, good flat pedals. I'm really happy with it and it gets the job done. The trails I ride aren't that XXXtreme but I'm wondering is it worth upgrading the fork.... or save up for a FS. I kind of like not being on a FS because it let's me not look like such a goon when I'm slow as christmas, breathing heavy on trails that a FS isn't necessarily needed. My riding ability is higher than my endurance at the moment, so on flat ground or down hill I'm a lot faster than the people I run into. I've noticed recently,I imagine, a better front fork would have helped keep the front locked in rather than it pushing out and me having to save it.

So my question. Does a front fork make that much of a difference or should I not worry about it and eventually move to a FS? My bike has a SR Suntour XCR-RL 100mm.

Any suggestions on a new fork for $350 or less that'll be an upgrade?

19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I know he would NOT buy this...or at least one with this front end
    upload_2017-9-28_15-51-17.png

dtalbott likes this.
  20. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Contact altitudebicycles.com. They usually save me a couple grand on high end specialized. I have a stumpjumper now and love it.

casjoker likes this.