Thoughts on shoulder?

Discussion in 'General' started by mineshaved, Jan 26, 2010.

1. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

Stand with your elbow against your side and your forearm extended at 90 degrees pointed forward. The movement is to bring your hand against your stomach, then return back to starting position. The band should be oriented for resistance against the motion.

Then reverse the movement so that the starting position is with your hand against your stomach and you move your hand away from your stomach to the 90 degree position. The resistance band is in the opposite direction for this one.

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ ahhhh!!!! got it- thanks! i will try this on my next shoulder day.

3. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

I have pretty much all the symptoms above due to many sports related shoulder injuries over the years and doing rehab every time instead of just having surgery. Swimming laps regularly is about the only way I can keep my shoulders fully functioning with little pain or obstruction.

4. rick burdick

rick burdick Rick122

I would go to the ortho,than get an MRI.That way you know your okay to proceed with light exersize,rotator,ect as long as there are no tears.The ortho will give you some rotator exersizes to do,do them steady,for months if nessasary.My shoulder locked up on me and it was hell for over a year.I did all of the above and feel fantastic,even pressing heavy dumbells:)

5. 66proof

66proof Well-Known Member

Shoulder injuries are difficult to resolve under the best conditions. Give this some thought before you run off for an MRI or CT.
    Based on the description of the injury (reaching for a glass of water) would not indicate a tear in the labrum or ligament.
    The mechanism of injury (MOI) would need to be more tramatic. You may have irritated an old injury and over extended/stressed irregular ( previously damaged muscle or ligament) tissue. Or forced the joint past its regular active range of motion and caused significant impingement resulting in pain.
    You may want to attempt to resovle your injury on your own. Start with ice every hour with the ice on for 10-15 minutes (if your at home 4 hours in the evening, you can ice it at least 4 times). Try and balance out the shoulder muscles. The shoulder has 17 muscles attached to it and they all have to do there job. One muscle cant be to tight/weak/spasm or fatigued it creates an imbalance in the shoulder causing pain and weakness.
    How are you going to balance out all 17 muscles?
    Send me a pm with you email and i will forward you the correct exercises with photos for easy use. I use these exercises on a regular basis for my patients. It works but you gotta do the work. And may take 8-12 weeks so dont give up to soon.
    My disclaimer: a proper assesment and treatment plan by a qualified health care provider is your best starting point.

6. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

Thanks again for all the replys. I did a light work out today with some stretching. I need to start working out for the track this year and this may be a good reason to start. :)

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What he said, sorry I couldnt clarify sooner but work got in the way.

Also be advised, this exercise/movement is NOT to be done using heavy resistance/weight, you're looking to do hi reps 15+.

8. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

+1 on the PT. I tore something in my right shoulder and it would pop out on me. Did an assigned routine with the big rubber band for a good year. I didn't think it would come around but I slowly got back up to a very functional 90% by building the muscles.

9. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^ what routine was that if you don't mind sharing?

10. farva03r

farva03r Well-Known Member

banged my right shoulder up some time ago. i too slept with my arm under the pillow and would wake up in pain. just cleaning the window on my front door would leave me in pain the next few days. went to the docs and found i had a torn labrum. doc said he wanted to cut. i had a different idea.

been at the gym doing all my normal exercises. i just can't do shoulder press or incline bench with a strait bar. i'll do dumbbell incline bench, feels much better and i can use the arm the next day.

throughout the week i do different shoulder exercises, not one or two on one day.

goodluck!

11. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

I've long lost my PT instruction sheet, but it was a series of about five diff. exercises, all using a piece of red stretch rubber about three feet long. Each exercise was about ten or fifteen reps with the band looped around a post or whatever. One exercise was as chrison600 described. Another was rotating out. Also lifting the arm and both pushing and pulling motions. The resistance is minimal. You want to build muscle and mobility without causing inflammation. First 30 days I was on Relafin for inflamation control.

It took a really long time to be effective but has worked a treat. I can do just about anything now very well except for any hard pulling swimming strokes (which will pop it out again) and I'm pain free. Its been about ten years now. :beer:

12. twilkinson3

twilkinson3 see god...brake....

Hey shaved, I just had my left shoulder fixed back in Oct - rowing type exercises will help if something isn't structurally wrong with the shoulder (burning may indicate a torn rotator cuff - mine did in the end)

if it's getting worse or just not going away go see the ortho and get the MRI done, if you let a tear go a long time it may not ever heal correctly (or so I was told) and it's just better to know up front and guess on this one I think

13. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

Yeah, I agree twilkinson3 and with everyone else. If it gets worse I will get it checked out. For now Ill try some exercises... thanks