1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor Outlaw 38MB Experiences?

Discussion in 'General' started by deathblow, Nov 3, 2019.

1. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

Hi I’m considering a Thor Outlaw 38MB. Anyone have any experience, knowledge, suggestions on this model?

rvinsider has bad reviews in general on the Outlaw models, I was hoping the beeb has more honest reviews.

Looking to purchase early next year. If it is really that bad, what are the alternative?

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

No experience with them personally other than drooling over them at RV shows. But I would probably hang tight until the 7.3/10 speed combo is rolled into them.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Have you tried searching? There are a couple threads, here, with owner comments.

Every motorhome has issues, quirks, etc. Even brand new ones have bugs to be worked out. It’s just the way they are.

deathblow and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

The general consensus is that most stick and fiberglass toy haulers after the recession are built half-assed by meth heads trying to get paid to get their next fix. QA/QC is virtually non-existent and you better hope the dealer/manufacturer are quick and convenient with repairs.

Paging @ChemGuy

ducnut, deathblow and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I looked at those reviews...most are for items on the RV...not the unit itself. I dont work in that industry anymore and havent been in the Outlaw plant in 6 months or more. But the GM there is a good guy and has been working to get issues resolved. They suffer from the same work force and low cost issues as all RV's. I dont think the wall is going to fall off or anything that bad...but there can be issues with the amenities and electronics.

Personally, I would try to find a good used one so these teething issues are solved and you dont take a massive hit on the depreciation. But unfortunately buying one of these things is a little like Russian Roulette...

Thor was having quality issues in 2017 and 2018 as they were experiencing a large increase in sales volume. A lot of the motor coach plants were putting out too many units. Now they are down ~15-20% from then and they can do a better job.

CRA_Fizzer, ducnut and deathblow like this.
  6. deathblow

Great, I really appreciate the responses. I’m definitely going to search for a good used one.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

YES!!! My 2017 was one of them. A couple things I noticed and thought “How the fuck did this get past QC?”.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Be aware, there is a chassis change from the GM chassis and 8.1L engine to a Ford chassis with 6.8L V10 engine.

These things hold strong values in the used market, so be aware.

deathblow likes this.
  9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If you can try and find an older model when they were made by Damon. At that time the had the option of a Cummins diesel motor, Allison transmission and it was built on a Freightliner chassis. Was also called an Outlaw Scorpion edition then. I have had mine since 2011. Mine Is 2009 model. I believe that was the last year they offered the diesel option.
    if you buy one reach out to me I can tell you what your issues will be.

Ride safe,
    AAron

deathblow likes this.
  10. deathblow

Cool. Will let you know.

DucatiBomber likes this.