1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS AINT no fuggin new tire!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jrsamples, Jul 13, 2011.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I would try the A front and see how it wears during practice. I think it will last the weekend no problem unless you corner wicked low and ride wicked fast...

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so somehow the Dunlop has some magic rubber compound NOT affected by heat cycles now? That would be news to the roadracing community brother..
    Where did you find that? It was obviously posted by someone that is trying to SELL Dunlop tires! Yes, it goes without saying that when a tire wears, it has a harder time holding heat. Thicker rubber = good. Worn out tire down well past rain sipes with little rubber left = bad. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that though! :)

A compound michelin tires should be used when ambient temps are above 70F, or if it is a bit warmer but overcast with lower track temps. The thing about the V front, is although a B compound on sides, it is a 4 ply carcass thus will move a bit generating some heat. It works great in cooler temps too for that reason. The A/B fronts are a bit rounder as you know, (but same height as V) but with 5 plys, thus feel better on the brakes.. FWIW, most faster riders like the faster turn in and better side grip of the V front.

The answer to your 4 year old tire question has been answered in earlier posts..

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

All right. I hope I have the chance. Motor guy called last night, my new "only 300 mile" motor has a "chirp". So, we'll see.

http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/#HC So, you are saying that my joke was funny after all?
    Thanks.:up:

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that is interesting that they would claim the tire is not affected by heat cycles. I have no info to say it does or doesn't, other than the fact that every rider i know running any brand of tire (dunlop included) would rather have brand new vs. old. Michelin tires, pirelli, B-stone, whatever.. will work better when new, than used and with way less rubber left. Try different tires, see what floats your boat. I would take what they are saying about "our tires are not affected by heat cycles like other tires" as advertising.

ON a side note about heat cycles and Michelin tires.. Michelin did a tire test at Jennings a few years back and Brad was the "heat cycler" rider. He basically had the job of running tires and letting em cool with no warmer, then heat em and go out for a few laps and come back. His times were quite consistant after TWELVE heat cycles, with no more of a lap time drop than you would have seen from a tire that was just run that many laps in one session.. Tires have come a long way, and are not AS affected by heat cycles. Talk with some of the riders that have ran the Power1 tires down way past the wear bars. Michelin designed the newer tires for just that and called it NST (near slick technology).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I run em down to the wear bars, then flip it and run it some more. The only time I had rear tire traction decline on a Power One (on my SV650 at top 3 Novice pace) was at CMP on a flipped tire that had a bunch of time on it.

6. opedogg

opedogg Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Opie here - I know there is concern in regards to date codes and so forth but, I have had no problems whatsoever with some of the older tires. In fact, at a WERA Regional at Barber earlier this year, I had a rear tire on that I got from Nikk with a date code of 4708. That is the 47th week of 2008. I figured because it's the 47th week and my race number is 47, its gotta be good! Seriously though, I went faster than I had ever been at Barber on that tire - BTW, thanks for the tire Nikk!

7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

ehhh, wtf do YOU know about going fast?? :Poke::beer:

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I wouldn't take his advice anyway. I heard that he was on the podium one time after rolling with a set of 9 yr. old Cheng Shin dual sports.

Well, that's what I heard.

9. opedogg

opedogg Well-Known Member

You guys made me laugh so hard, I don't even have a reply now......damnit! Whas happening Todd? Hope all is well for you AND jrsamples!

10. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I heard Opie hates pie.

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

hehe!! same ol same ol, Ope. :up: I talked to Whitey tonight, was a really good conversation. That dude is a stand up guy, and HE can corner low too! :D

12. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I heard they were scooter takeoffs...