1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinnest chest protector?

Discussion in 'General' started by MachineR1, Jul 1, 2012.

1. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Who makes the thinnest chest protector?

I have the Knox. It was fine when I had my R1 but on my new 848 I can't get tucked in. I want to try something thinner, the local shops only carry the Dainese thorax which doesn't look any thinner than the Knox.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Forcefield

3. I went through this last year when i was looking for thinner armour to help my tuck (used to wear the Knox Gilet vest).

I went with the new Knox Sport chest protector:
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9541

And the new Aegis back protector:
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4157

They are a good bit thinner than the Gilet i was wearing. They feel less bulky and cumbersome.

Going to a better fitting Bell helmet made the biggest improvement. The RS-1 and Star have a better/wider/taller field of vision than my previous helmet. With my old helmet when i got in a full tuck, i was basically looking at the dash and could barely see ahead of me. With the Bell, plus the thinner chest/back protection, i can lay my chest and head on the tank and look through the screen.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Have you tried extending backwards and lifting your butt an inch or so? It helps a lot. Is it the chest protector getting in the way?

5. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I tried re positioning myself but it's just too bulky.

Now that I ave been wearing chest pro for a while I feel naked w/o it.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I know what you mean. I have one those Alpinestars back protector/chest protector and also have another back protector in my leathers. I would feel naked otherwise.

7. earacing

earacing Race Dad

We run Impact Safe-T Armor and it's pretty thin.

8. anthem

anthem Member

The impact Safe-T armor is about the same size as the knox. Thin but not that thin. Forcefield's chest armor thats included in the Race-vest is also about the same thickness. Dainese has a new cell armor that is about 1/2" thick compared to their hard thorax chest protector. Kushitani has a chest protector that I'm currently using which seems to be thinner (about 1/2") and seems very similar to the new Dainese cell type of armor.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'll 3rd the Impact Armor as the thinnest and its custom fitted.

10. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I'll fourth the Impact Safe-T armor. Went through numerous others. They are thin and custom fit.

11. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

+1

12. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

While we're on this topic (sorry for a mild threadjack), any suggestions for a combo chest/back protector that's worth a damn?

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Tyler uses the Impact Armor, as others have mentioned. It is custom fit and quite thin, used by Colin Edwards, Elana Meyers, Josh Hayes, Troy Corser.

Tyler just crashed pretty hard a couple weeks ago at Big Willow, and commented how the only bruises he got on his torso, were where the impact armor wasn't.

14. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

+1 on Impact Safe-T-Armor and they build it custom to each rider. Has a chest and back protector combo and if its good enough for Colin Edwards its good enough for us.

http://www.impactarmor.com/

Cheers

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Nick Hayden also uses Impact Armor.

I have the combo chest and back protector. so awesome.

16. loudog

loudog ...inside the van.

I wear the chest/back combo from Impact Armor as well. I haven't seen anything thinner.

17. The Knox Gilet vest is the most comfortable one i have ever worn (while also offering the best protection IMO).

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1032

I have tried several vests and some of them got on my nerves and/or i felt like they restricted movement. I like the Gilet because it did not inhibit movement nor did it aggravate me any.

Another thing i like about it is that the chest protector is a solid 1pc design. The ones that are 2 individual pads won't do anything to prevent chest compression; they just keep your boobies from being bruised by rocks or something. The solid piece protects the sternum.

The best thing i like about it is that the sides of the chest protector wrap around the ribs. So when you zip it up, it is almost like you are wrapped in a protective shell.

18. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

the knox chest protectors have saved me from many a broken ribs, for sure. the older model was a little smaller and doesn't wrap around as far. great products for sure. with regards to the tuck, i've just adapted to it.

you should call stg and talk to someone. they're gear freaks and can tell you the differences between all of the brands and what really works.