Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

2. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

^ what he said!

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No trail suggestions, but you have to consider heat and hills when going slow on bigger tires.
    Your overall gearing will change for the worse with oversize tires. If you have the base axle ratios, you can overheat both the engine and the transmission (assuming an automatic) rather quickly even tho' the Jeep seems to be pulling just fine. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. If it starts to climb, it's definitely time for 4Lo.
    Whenever you feel the Jeep "working", put it in 4Lo regardless what the temp gauge says. Your transmission will especially thank you. You can cool the engine down by blasting the heater for a couple minutes but, otherwise, AC all day long (if you want) as long as you keep the temps in check. If you feel you may have heated the transmission, park it in neutral and blast the heater for a few minutes longer.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yea, I figured with the sport base ratios I'd be using 4 low if we're not on a road, it's not like we will be in a hurry. Not going a lot bigger on the tires just 33's, it's averaging over 22 mpg for the first 2500 miles.

5. fastfreddie

Ya know, all these tire sizes are just whack. I have 315/70-17s on mine...I hear people call 'em all kinds of sizes - 35s, metric 35s, 34.4", 34s, and my ruler from ground to the top of my mounted tires, 33.5".
    So, your 33s, (if they are an honest 33) you might want to put the Jeep through a flex test to see if you're gonna be rippin' fenders off. I have high fenders cuz my 33s(?)-34s(?) woulda been more than happy to dispose of the plastic fenders for me...all that was needed was a mild berm like a shallow ditch. :eek:
    You do have the slight lift goin' for ya tho'.
    Just sayin' you might wanna check it out before you start leavin' fenders on the trail. :D

22MPG is fantastic! I don't believe you! :crackup:

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

In my new JL Rubicon I'm only averaging like 17 mpg. Doesn't seem to matter if i'm doing freeway or around town shit.

7. Newsshooter

I'm going to put 285/70-17s on it, most calcs I've seen online put them at or just under 33. JL's seem to have more room, I've seen 315's on a rubicon JL with standard suspension doing well off road without ripping the fenders. I'll get another 1-1.5 inches with the rubi springs and shocks. Just went out to get a pic of the fuel avg on the dash I've only driven it a few times and my wife has a lead foot. That's combined, mostly around town stuff and freeway to her dad's about 20 miles away :D

FuelAVG.jpg

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

My JK has never seen above 20 mpg average for my normal driving. For shitzngiggles, I had a few extra minutes in a work trip and I did a 40 mile trip that was mostly highway. I kept it at 55 and was able to eek it just over 21 average for most of the trip until I got off the highway. My last 5 min of town driving and red lights brought it back under 20.
    Normal around town and a little highway puts me around 16 typically.

9. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

My sports car search made me realize I have no desire to own one right now and my wife and I have always wanted a jeep, so I have totally switched gears. Now looking at a jeep to free up my wife's car for me to use for highway driving for work. All of that said, what are you guys doing for wheels/tires. I'd like to go to 35s (maybe 37s) on a new 2018 JL Sport. What would be a good offset and lift combination?

10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I wouldn't waste time with 35's. I've rued the day I put 35's instead of 37's on my Jeep.

Not sure on the offset, since I put mine on OEM wheels (with 1.5" spacers).

The Cooper STT Pros are popular around here.

omatter34 likes this.
  11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Had a stock JK Rubicon that I bought used with 4K miles on her for $35k. I put 30k miles on her in two years and traded her in for $30k. I kept it completely stock and loved every minute of it. I would definitely buy another Jeep, but as a “fun” vehicle, not a daily driver as I did before. My mileage was never above 18 MPG and normally around 16MPG. I had tha six speed manual.

omatter34 likes this.
  12. omatter34

This will be a fun 3rd vehicle for me and the wife, but also she will use it when I am out of town and take her car. Nice thing is she works from home, so even when I have her car all she does is take the kids to school and run an occasional errand.

13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I was saving up for C7 Corvette, but bought the JKUR instead. Best decision I ever made. Whole family loves the Jeep. Usually run with no doors and top from May to October.

Drove it from STL to the Rubicon trail, ran the trail and drove it back with no issues last year. Great trip.

omatter34 likes this.
  14. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Great book but be advised. If you start hitting the harder trails that book can be “outdated” very quickly. I do Moab every year in a 2005 Rubi LJ with 35’s, LS3 etc etc and I’ve got to some spots on what would be considered a mildly hard trail and was like WTF!?!? The issue is if a bunch of buggies go through there a few weeks before..... you’re gonna be stacking rocks!

I believe there is a website that offers some more up to date info regarding trails in that area that would supplement that book which is a great resource btw. I just wouldn’t use it as my only source to know the conditions of trails.

The great thing about Moab. You can find a trail for every vehicle. Wonderful place for that. Also I think, some of the best views are accessible with a 2wd SUV....

15. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

16. Newsshooter

Moab was fun, didn't do as much 4 wheeling as I would have liked but the wife had fun learning, it was her first time, and scared herself a couple times on fins and things.

Moab.jpg

omatter34, r1owner and Pixelator like this.
  17. omatter34

20181207_202748.jpg Picked up a stock, base level Jeep JL on Monday and just got it back from the shop. Glad I didn't go the sports car route at this point in time.

18. fastfreddie

Did you have it aligned?

19. omatter34

Yeah..they did it all at the 4x4 shop that I took it to. Same people that did most of the work on my truck too.

20. khill

khill Well-Known Member

We ended getting this 2008 about a year ago and love it. It is totally stock and I plan to keep it close to that. Took it on a 4k+ trip over the summer from Wa through Colorado and into UT/AZ with a week plus stop in Moab. Only did mild trails, but loved every minute of it. We get over 20mpg consistently with a best of 22.8 on our trip. Starting upgrades this winter...

Ken

Attached Files:

j cal, Wingnut and omatter34 like this.